Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TICK, the CHIRP, misfire on cylinder 1, and random misfire. Wholly crap . Yes i have gone through the post on the tick.
So the tick is likely the lifters and probable worn cam. new cam lifters and cam would fix that part. The chirp sounds like dry cam bearings and or really worn cam bearings. The misfire on cyl. 1 was a P0301. I checked injector harness with noid lite. O.K. the swapped out coil with #2. o.k. there. Then checked plug. Clean white . O.K.. then checked spark plug wires . O.K. What i'm thinkin is cam worn down quite alot on #1. Being if its a worn cam . Most likely will not easily slide through the cam bearings . Also noticed my oil pressure has always been around 35 to 40 psi. since the misfire this morning its at 80 or pegged out max.
If some of you think this sounds about right in a nut shell let me know.
The repairs needed . Melling oil pump, pan gasket. head gasket intake gasket, lifters ,cam cam bearings timing chain , chain guides and timeing chain tensioner. My vehicles are 4 down. 2005 Triumph needs tires and brake rotor, My 05 gmc ticks , my 2006 pontiac G6 has evap issues, My 1980 mercedes diesel needs timing chain . To many problems. Please help my Gmc.
Thanks for listening . Just venting. Quinn

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Just from wat you saying I would check oil pressure through the diagnostic port. If it's really shooting up like that it shounds like you have a blockage either past the filter or pump bypass isn't opening. May have stopped up the oil filter and bypass opened sending sludge through. I would put another filter on just in case and put some fresh oil I'm especially if it's dark. Have you tried to clean it with anything? Hopefully just the gauge.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well The engine has 182,000 miles. Just changed oil . from dino oil to Mobile 1 ,5/30w full synthetic. And a $17.00 K&N oil filter. Before the oil change 2 weeks ago I ran Sea Foam in oil lube. Visually now the oil looks like honey. Is this going to cost a bunch of money I dont have. The truck is in great condition . I love my GMC.
So Ill go get a new filter. So could be the bypass in filter or oil pump. Or gauge .
Thanks for response APCNC.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plugged my Innova code reader . Not able to pull up engine oil pressure. I'll find a port and check it there. The noise of chirp and tick is very load . 6 months driving it has increased damage . Now I dont think I should drive it any longer.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Where is the chirp coming from? Not a belt I'm gathering. The lifters will probably get louder if the oil passage is plugged. Essentially you have little to no oil pressure past where it's plugged up. If that's the case.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its not the belt or water pump. I've watched a few on You Tube with same noise . Nobody has answered that chirp. Vettes to trucks. aluminum block cast iron block. Ok then if possible no oil pressure beyond blockage . Then for sure dont run it. ok. I 'll change the filter in a few minutes . and get back to the forum.
Thanks alot. Quinn

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Speaking of, Anyone know if is there access beyond the sensor. If it is plugged up you could take the priming plug out and blow it back out the side of the block. The chirping may as you stated to begin with could be a worn cam. The pressure or lack thereof is the question. Hopefully if its stopped up you can restore pressure and just had lifter tapping from low oil pressure.

Did the lifters get louder when the gauge pegged out?

Open your oil filter that you just removed if you have it and see if it is stopped up. That should give you a better idea of the problem. If you have broken loose a lot of sludge you may want to do it again. I tend to want clean out an engine at a slower rate but sometimes there isn't much choice.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. oil filter not issue. think i'll change sending unit.
To answer that GOBBLERK5 ,No the change of oil did nothing. The oil weight stayed 5w30 . Just dino to full SYN.
Seems people were very lucky on a few posts. Change pump .solved . Changed oil weight . Solved. But I have not heard of one post with the dry sounding chirp like mine. I'l have to wait till tax time to tear it down. So all of you will have to wait. Long blocks are quite expensive . Anyone know about removing passenger head and can you access both banks of the lifters.
Oil pressure did not change when I changed to FULL SYNTHETIC. dangit.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
My 04 is giving me a chirp with a cold startup. I'm watching for a water pump leak. Especially since I just flushed coolant sys and every time I've done that on a vehicle, it wasn't long before the water pump crapped the bed...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.