Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new on here and have looked at a lot of previous threads but still confused. I bought a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 sle. I’ll pick it up Friday. It has a 6.2, 3.73 gears, 6l80 transmission. I bought it to pull my camper. Has factory fifth wheel and receiver, towing package with factory brake controller. Thought it was capable of towing around 10000 lbs. I hope I didn’t make a mistake. My camper weighs 5200 lbs dry 7200 lbs fully loaded. Any help would be appreciated. It does have tranny cooler and oil cooler from factory according to the rpos.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You have an NHT truck and it can indeed tow over 10,000 pounds. It'll easily handle that trailer. Fast too right? They run mid 14s in the quarter mile off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,687 Posts
The owners manual should have a table where you can find your truck and what it can tow. Note, that is the maximum it can tow, and assumes the truck isn't carrying anything extra as well. Extra passengers, luggage, tools, etc in the truck itself reduce what you can tow fairly quickly.

·
Registered
Gustafson
404 Posts
Based on your numbers, you should be just fine...

What I want to know is, what are you putting inside that camper that weights 1 ton?

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,264 Posts
Tow capacity numbers are meaningless. It's the payload amount located on the yellow and white sticker inside your drivers door jam. Most half-tons will run out of payload BEFORE MAX TOWING CAPACITY. With that being said-IMHO you are at the "sweet spot" for half-ton towing at around 5,000 pounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. It is a nht. Runs good. I don’t put that much in the camper that’s what is says full of water and gear. I pull it with 5 gallons in black tank others are empty. Maybe 500lbs extra weight for other stuff.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The owners manual should have a table where you can find your truck and what it can tow. Note, that is the maximum it can tow, and assumes the truck isn't carrying anything extra as well. Extra passengers, luggage, tools, etc in the truck itself reduce what you can tow fairly quickly.
All the trucks up until the T1s had these charts in their owner's manual. Now it is vehicle specific, based on actual curb weight of the truck. That's why they get that new sticker in the door.

I know you know these things Dave, just writing it for the folks that come along later.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,687 Posts
All the trucks up until the T1s had these charts in their owner's manual. Now it is vehicle specific, based on actual curb weight of the truck. That's why they get that new sticker in the door.

I know you know these things Dave, just writing it for the folks that come along later.
Actually, I'm not up on exactly how newer trucks have that info, I'm more familiar with the GMT800/900's...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you guys have any more information or recommendations on this truck feel free. It’s a one owner with 94000 miles. What to be aware of and how to make it better. Planning on running e85. From my racing days alcohol makes better hp but lacks lubricants that gas has. Is it safe to run all the time? I only commute 10 miles one way each day. With the price of gas and if I can keep my foot out of it think it’s a good idea.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Run the severe service schedule and keep the fluids clean. Check the exhaust manifolds for exhaust leaks and broken bolts. If none, consider replacing them. Don't run low octane gas in it. Stick with Top Tier to protect those pistons and rings. E85 is great, even better when it costs less per mile than gasoline. They are rated for 9 City, 13 Highway on E85. Yes, you can run it all the time.

Try to refuel on your way to home or work, not right before you get there. This will help keep the oxygen sensors from incorrectly calculating the alcohol content in the fuel. Multiple short runs can throw this number way off and result in driveability problems. The book says the computer needs at least 7 miles to calculate but I have driven 18 miles and then watched it finish days later, so it is always checking.

Get a Tech-2 so you can properly diagnose and work on it. Consider AllDataDIY for a subscription to the shop manual. Use GM OE or ACDelco Gold/Professional parts whenever possible. The computer system doesn't like aftermarket parts.

If time and funds allow, consider replacing the torque converter with an upgraded unit with Sonnax parts. You can also beef up the trans by doing some work on the valve body. Such work is documented here:

A BlackBear tune will put a little more power to the ground while making the truck more efficient and the biggest improvement will be in how the transmission operates. Consider making that your first mod. My daughter deleted the muffler before getting it tuned!

Post up pics when you can and enter it in the Truck of the Month Contest ASAP!

Reactions: Quinc

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,636 Posts
If the E85 isnt 30% lower price wise then itll be a wash as far as cost per mile.

Weight wise 6-7k is the safe max for 1500s imo

Also remember that length matters on a camper, the larger the side wall the easier it'll be to push around the 1500s.

·
Registered
2012 gmc sierra 1500 6l80e 6.2
112 Posts
I towed a 24ft toy hauler with my 2012 1500 with 6.2. ( I call her a 2/3 ton truck :p) And was still able to pass people up hills averaging 8mpg I believe they are listed as being able to tow 10,600. Not sure what the max hitch weight is though. But damn pulling something as small as 800lbs kills the mpgs on these trucks. Truck gets worse mpg then my jeep 4.0 got when towing more weight..

I bought my truck with 170k. had a leaking axle seal and broken engine mount.
195k oil cooler line started leaking like a sieve(huge pain in the arse to replace)
200k Trans went out. (also was not fun to replace)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts