Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I provide my Vin if some one on here can tell me what part numbers I need for rear drums and brake shoes? Truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra ext cab. I'm asking because I am finding to different types of shoes. One with push pin design and one without.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Yes. If you don't want to post your VIN here, you can PM it to me.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Even with your VIN, both styles of rear brakes came up which is odd.

Easy was to tell is look at the backing plate. If you see the pin heads (item 19), you have the hold down pins and the GM part number for the shoes is 25976968.
Brake Shoe w Hold Down Pin.jpg

No pin heads means brake shoes part number 19256494.
Brake Shoe No Hold Down.jpg

Only drum that came up had part number 19183586.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was able to look behind wheels and didn't see any push pins. That's a good thing because I went ahead and ordered the shoes w/o pins last night lol. I also ordered the drums you posted. They are acdelco durastop breaks. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to change out rear drums and shoes over the weekend, but now have to bring truck to brake shop in the morning due to vibrating break pedal when braking at high speeds. I think I got a warped drum from acdelco. Will post back tomorrow night to let everyone know if problem has been resolved.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I did mine end of last month and had to turn drums as well

·
Registered
566 Posts
sorry meant I just did mine and had to turn originals , lol my bad

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
In for updates.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got truck back from brake shop and it's braking smooth as butter now. They had to turn drums, but not a whole lot. I don't know anything about turning drums, but he said, if I'm not mistaken, they took off 31/1000th. Now I don't know if that's inches or centimeters or what lol. I also noticed the emergency brake doesn't go down as much as when I first changed them, so I'm sure they adjusted the shoes also. Knowing my luck all they did was adjust shoes and just told me they turned the drums to get more money out of me. I know it happens, but I still can't believe new acdelco drums were warped off the shelf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's not entirely uncommon to get warped drums (or rotors) off the shelf. With the tolerances, and rotations they're subject to, a very minor issue quickly becomes a problem. 31/1000th of an inch is a tiny amount to look at on a ruler, but you know first hand what it does to your braking! Glad you got it smoothed out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I need to do the same thing. Good info about the different styles. I read they are a pain to change. I got my truck with 130k on it and im not sure if they have ever been changed. I have a lot of brake peddle travel, and rear brakes sound like the cause from what ive read. The peddle will firm up after a couple pumps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are 2 part #s for drums also. They look a bit different. 1 is @30,000 inch too small for the other style shoes. Look at your Drum and bring it with you if possible when you buy a new one. There is an outer lip on 1. On the other it is a rounded edge. They are OK CutAnd Will work Properly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts