Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is a new one. (at least to me)
60K miles on 2011, 1500, 5.3, 4x4.
Weather dry, temp in high 30s.

Last night when I went to back out of my parking stall at work I have to back out with the steering at full lock to the right.
While I was doing this it felt like something was dragging on the ground, I stopped and look under the truck and there was nothing there but this is well after dark. So I continued to back up the 90° turn that I needed to make with it feeling like something was dragging.
I shifted to forward and everything felt normal again. I drove home and had to make the same right hand backup maneuver over gravel to get into my spot in my back yard. All was normal. I check numerous time to be sure it was not in any of the 4x4 modes. It was in 2 hi based on the pointer position and the lights.

This morning when I got to work in the daylight I can see that the right rear tire was skidding on the gravel parking lot. Not skidding as if the wheel was locked but skidding as if I had a spool in the rear end and the rear axle was locked solid.

Is this trying to tell me that my rear end is about to grenade on me?

Is this telling me it is time to look seriously at putting in that Eaton Tru Track and some new gears?

· Registered
656 Posts
Mines been sticking on lately as well...

Usually a sign of contamination, but after my 3rd drain and fill it still does it occasionally..

I'm looking at putting something new in as well and cant make up my mind on what mechanism I want next..

:?: :?: :?:

· Registered
208 Posts
I've had several to do this over the years. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. If it continues to do this on a regular basis would check into it more. I've always been able to get mine to unlock by either putting it in reverse and backing up while swerving left and right, or going forward doing the same. I had an 09' Chevy Express work van that did this regularly from new and it is still going to this day with over 150k miles on it. Rear end has never been touched. Funny how some of the trucks over the years I've owned have done this and others have not. All of the trucks I've owned have had locking diffs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.