Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am posting on here due to a small issue. I usually like to post on here a few days before I can look at the problem all day to get possible hints or answers. Anyway I've noticed on my 99 1500 5.3 ext cab 4wd a squeak in the rear end. I only seem to hear it when coming off a complete stop which to me eliminates the brakes at first. However it doesn't always occur. Maybe 75% of the time. The squeak seems to be in relation to the tire revolution and either is corrected with speed or is drowned out. I havent been able to tell.There is no lift or huge tires on it. Ive heard of leaf spring squeaking and wondered if anyone had any more info on something similar? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a problem no to long ago with a noise at take off also from the rear end but at first i thought it was my belt or tensioner and changed both of those out then my friend came up with the great idea of him jumping in the truck and driving it while i ran next to it listening for the noise and it worked i found out the rubber pieces for the exhaust hanger were squeezing i changed them out and no noises since then, try shaking your exhaust or having someone jump on the bed of your truck or do how i did run next to your truck while in motion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
My leaf springs squeak all the time. I have gone as far a squirting oil from an oil can between the slats by parking the truck with one tire in the crease at the bottom of the driveway and then switching tires. It worked really good the first time, till I went mudding and puddle hopping. I have to do it again, but am trying to avoid lying on the cold concrete...so for now I just turn up the stereo. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't quite got time to really look at it but it sounds the most like a bird chirping. It is not a constant squeak. Does that sound like the leaf springs?

·
Registered
298 Posts
First off, yes i have seen the date of this post

But did you ever find out what was causing the noise?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did. Sorry I never followed up with a response. The noise was in relation to the wheels turning so I narrowed it down to the U-joints. Popped em off and swapped them. No more squeaking. Problem solved. It was just bad U-joints

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ahhhh so it was the u joint, how many miles did your truck have? I sounds like the noise im having except i just find it a little hard to believe cause my truck only has 37k on it and has been lifted for 3 months

·
Registered
386 Posts
Silverado how much lift ya got? Hop under your truck, grab the driveshaft, wrap your hands around it. Grasp tightly (THIS IS NOT A JOKE HAHAHA :lol: ) turn it back and forth. If there's slack in it, then it's u joints.

Another thing.. Check your rear diff. Look around. Check for fluid. Etc

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
Its a 6"BDS
lol ill be sure no one is around when i try that, if it is the joint is that something i could replace? I am very handy but no mechanic

And i snooped around there too and everything looked normal, no leaks, signs of wear nothing
Sucks that most likely the dealership wont cover it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
U-joints are very easy to replace. You only need a hammer and some pliers. There are tons of YouTube videos on it. The way I found out it was the U-joints was listening to the sound as the wheels turned. The only thing I caution you on is getting the right joints. The retaining springs for mine are different on each end of the drive shaft. Advanced didn't give me the right joints at first and I had to go back and get them. Just double check online and with the diagrams at the auto parts store. They should feel happy to show you them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I forgot my truck info. It's a 99 silverado Ext cab Z71 four wheel drive. It has about 180k on it but about 175k when it happened. The U-joints go at about 30-40k miles I believe. (if I'm incorrect someone please correct me). They're just a normal wear and tear item like changing your oil.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh ok i will try the tip you gave me and look up some parts

Should i try the dealership first or will they just give me "the lift caused the problem" so its not covered

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Chevy dealership here I think voids warranty after 3" I think. But double check with yours. What is your truck info?
If you decide to do it yourself it will cost about 40$ for the U-joints if you determine that's what the problem is (assuming you have a hammer, socket set, and needle
Nose pliers)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I mean my truck is only 2 years old, it still has the 5 year powertrain warranty and i service it regularly at the dealership i bought it from
They just say that a lift doesnt void the warranty as long as the lift is not what caused the problem

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn that dealer actually doesn't sound half bad. My buddy just bought a 2013 z71 and asked about a lift and they said anything about 3" voids the warranty. I'd give them a call or trip to them if it's convenient. If it's covered under warranty all the better. I can't imagine them saying the lift caused it as it is a expected wearable piece (a joint). But them again dealers are crazy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.