Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright getting ready to do my rear main install this weekend. But got some questions

1. Do I need an alignment tool such as this: Summit Racing SUM-900335 Summit Racing™ Pro LS Rear Cover Alignment Tools | Summit Racing
I have seen people just pop the rear main on and go basically so I don't really understand why I need this. Also I am a bit confused on the function of it. I read the directions but I feel like I have to be missing something.
2. I use oil and not grease when lubing the seal correct? I thought that the grease may heat and mess with the rubber so I was going to use oil instead. What say you?
3. Blue loctite on the fly wheel or no?
4. RTV across the entire oil pan gasket or just the corners?

These may be basic but I see contradicting stuff concerning these so just want to get it straight. Thanks lads

·
Registered
2021 Trail Boss LT L84 10L90
287 Posts
That tool is for aligning the cover without the seal installed. Install the seal and when you put it over the crank the seal will align it.

Grease will not hurt the rubber in the least, I always pack every seal with grease between the lips and in the back.

Blue loctite is fine, but if the flywheel bolts are torqued to spec I can't see them ever coming loose.

If you are not dropping the pan, silicone on all sealing surfaces is a good idea.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swapped the seal today. Have not put everything back together. Did a little shortcut by just pull the trans backwards instead of dropping the whole thing down meaning I kept my exhaust in place. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain so hopefully Sunday I can at least get the bellhousing bolts back in.

Edit: I will be killing myself if this does not fix my leak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts