Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Silverado Crew Cab DRW 6.6
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's rig Lil Red doesn't have any recovery equipment besides the hoist and spare tire. It's a 2005 Silverado.

What do I need to get him?

TIA.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 leveled and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd lowered.
434 Posts
Recovery to what level? Just slide off road into a ditch and needs pulled out? Or rolled over while rock crawling? Recovery hooks might have been an available option for the front bumper area. They usually bolt to the frame and come out through the bumper openings. You don't mention 2wd or 4x4. If a 4x4, you may look into a cable winch setup for the front, but that usually requires allot of other items.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies, I meant the stock things like bottle or scissor jack, what lug wrench, etc. I have plenty of junkyards around us to rip off of stock rigs, I'm just unsure of what goes with it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,560 Posts
Wouldn't bother with the stock stuff. It's garbage and borderline usable.

I'd go to harbor freight and buy a 1/2" breaker bar, a 22mm socket, and depending where you'd like to keep it, a bottle jack or floor jack. Floor jack is better imo but will take up more room. Bottle jack will be far more compact.

I keep a few peices of wood in the truck as well to use as a base for the jack if need be.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Flat tire repair kit and some plugs. Air compressor and bottle of fix-a-flat (I never used it myself in 20 years, always gave them away to people in need).

Since we ran LT tires, there was no need for spare tires or jacks, the few leaks we got were slow enough to deal with later and in a pinch the plugs would handle.

Since one truck is back on P-Metrics, it has all of its stock gear in good shape for a tire change plus a Gorilla collapsible breaker bar with a double sided socket instead of that giant crossbar I used to lug around. Anyone can have the two in my garage, we just don't use them anymore.

'

My girls made $400 tonight pulling two teenage boys out of the mud. One Yukon and one Dodge. They keep a 20 foot and a 30 foot recovery strap and one of these aboard their truck:

Bicycle part Automotive exterior Font Auto part Tool

I used to lug around battery cables but not anymore, hardly come across anyone in need anymore and was never in need myself.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So here's what I'm going to be getting him:
  • 8 ton bottle jack (it's about $5 more than a 4 ton)
  • Several 2x4 chunks
  • Extendable breaker bar with sockets
  • Spare tire rods (can't lower without those rods reaching in there)
  • Soft Shackles
  • 1" Kinetic rope (20 or 30 feet)
  • Battery pack
  • First Aid(real, with turniquet and compression bandages, not just band-aids)
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Zip ties
  • Flash light
Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
3,608 Posts
A cell phone to call for help

In all serious though that probably about covers it

Edit: Actually some sort of med kit or IFAK. That would be a good idea to have, fire extinguisher as well perhaps

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
A couple hundred in cash for emergencies!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A cell phone to call for help

In all serious though that probably about covers it

Edit: Actually some sort of med kit or IFAK. That would be a good idea to have, fire extinguisher as well perhaps
Those are great. Will add.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I equip each truck with a Maglite with 3 D-cell batteries and a full size leatherman multi-tool. They fit in the door of my 900s perfectly. On top of the flashlight is a can of bug spray, the 40% kind to keep from getting eaten by skeeters.

Reactions: IdahoJOAT
1 - 19 of 19 Posts