Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

so I went to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation. everything was going great and then it began. The tried to relearn the tpms and it failed they must have brought out 3 of those testing devices and all of them failed. I have to take it back Tuesday for them to try again. Is there anything i can do?

its a 2013 GMC sierra

·
Registered
377 Posts
I usually get my local tire shop do it for me since I don't have the tool plus since it's a 2012, you can't relearn it without the tool. I was with them when they did it last time.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
The more I read of what dealers cannot seem to do right, does not really make me feel more comfortable about being able to get any real satisfactory result if I take my 2013 to them for anything. I eventually found out, but when I called my dealer's service dept and they could not tell me the amount of fluid to do a complete fluid replacement in my transmission, I lost much of my confidence in them. Now we have dealers that can't even do the TPMS stuff right in this thread. I have made a resolve that only in an extreme situation, will my dealer ever have the chance to turn a wrench on my pickup.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
My guess is the tech that was doing it didn't have the key on and door closed when he tried it.
We have a joke at work that goes something like this, key on, press lock and unlock buttons at the same time, wait for horn to sound, hop around truck clockwise on your left foot once, then skip around the truck twice counter-clockwise then try the tool.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know the only thing I remember is that she had 3 of those handheld tools. non of them worked. The want me to go back Tuesday so they can get it right. She even said that the rental would be of no charge. NO SH*&. They screwed this up. Then she made a comment about the battery in the TPMS maybe going bad. WTF. Lets see what happens on Tuesday

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
We reset tpms daily at the Goodyear I work for. Gm is one of the simplest out there, turn key on two clicks press lock + unlock on key fob at same time horn honks! start at driver front! pass front! pass rear! driver rear. It will honk at each wheel indicating relearned. When on last wheel after one honk, then usually does two honks I believe indicating process complete, start vech to confirm light out done. By the way if you have the Dic in truck you can press buttons on it to initiate the relearn on some models, I'm able to with my 11 sierra. If I were you I'd spend the $100 or so and buy my own tool. I love my tools and dodnt like having to rely on others for something so meanial, but that's just me. Good luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Raffi said:
You know the only thing I remember is that she had 3 of those handheld tools. non of them worked. The want me to go back Tuesday so they can get it right. She even said that the rental would be of no charge. NO SH*&. They screwed this up. Then she made a comment about the battery in the TPMS maybe going bad. WTF. Lets see what happens on Tuesday
Rental?!?! The process takes all of 3 minutes, max. SMH

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
2011chevy said:
Did you put on aftermarket tires? Could be the reason it would not reset it the pressure it not with in the range that the ECM is set to.
Great point!

I bought this tool, works perfect and was like $80.

TPMS reset tool

·
Registered
377 Posts
BUT in reading the original post, he went for a tire ROTATION, not an install. Which means the sensor were functioning fine before with the same tires on it.

That's how I take it. I still say go to a tire shop.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Can my TPMS NOT be relearned with the DIC and a strong speaker magnet like older GM TPMS?

That's news to me, I have a 2010 sierra slt

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exactly the TPMS was working great 12K miles on the truck multiple tire rotations. This is the first time the dealer did the rotation. Why should aftermarket wheels and tire make a difference after 6 months? I don't get it. I always ran the tire at about 45 PSI. lets see what happens on Tuesday.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up my truck. Its nice driving my truck after that pos Versa. Anyway they said that the front left tpms failed thats why it wouldnt relearn. They claim may be the rim shop damaged it. when i told the guy it was operational when i brought it he looked very confused. his comment was "I'm stumped" and that was that!!! thank god it was under warrenty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.