Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago the parking brake cable on my '03 1500 Sierra snapped just ahead of the cable slitter. Went to go fix it today and the cable going to the drivers side wheel is sticking out farther than the passenger side. I took a look at the axle side of the drivers side wheel and the retraction spring that the cable connects to on the outside of the dust cover is compressed. Is there anyway to safely release that spring, I don't want to go unbolting stuff and lose an eye or some fingers. I can post some pictures tomorrow if that helps.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Pics please.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I finally had time to get some pictures. The first one is a picture of the brake cables along the frame where the splitter is. The top one goes to the passenger side and is in the normal position.
WIN_20021208_120000 (8).JPG

This next picture is what the spring and cable assembly should look like normally, this is from my passenger side.
WIN_20021208_120000 (11).JPG

And this last one is of the spring that I have the problem with.
WIN_20021208_120000 (9).JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You can take a small hammer and tap the e-brake actuator arm on the backing plate (where the cable terminates) to get the brake shoes back in. Just tap it until it is all the way down.

The you can pull off the wheel, get the rotor off, and work on loosening up whatever is seized in there.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I second the above posts. Once I got it freed up, I would make sure the cables worked freely inside the housings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.