Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Z71 ltz when the temp. drops below 45-40 ( more 40 ) i hit the lock then start the lights flash on both but then nothing . but i can get in start the truck with the key no prob.drive about 5 mi. cut the motor off do what i need to and come back out hit the remote start and it starts right up and it's the same temp or lower than when i got up to leave .driving me nuts . it seems like after its set overnight is the only time it will not work .
any ideas ? i would be thankful

· Registered
197 Posts
?
Check Engine Light On ?
Hood latch malfunction saying the hood is open ?
Low Fuel Light On ?
Remote batteries weak and when they get cold won't work ?
Shiftier Neutral Safety switch malfunction ?
System can't confirm all doors are closed & lock ?

Good Luck

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Improper Starting Procedure
Vehicle Not in 'Park'
Too Many Remote Start Attempts I think 2 fails lock it out
Coolant Temp high or Oil Pressure low
Unlatched Hood
Hazard Warning Lights on
The Key is in the Car
Check Engine Light
Dead Keyfob Battery
Key Fob Battery
Battery Charge

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys.......i have went through the list everyone has posted and no lights ,everything on the truck seems fine . i have not had the bat. ck'd . it works fine as i said after the key has been used to start all the gages read ok . unless something is set wrong and i can't tell it.i have not tried the other fob. alt -14 ,oil -40 , temp when warned up 195-

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GR2017 said:
What did you read in the OM about what would cause the system to not function? Because it only happens when the engine is cold, I would be checking the condition of the vehicle battery.
nothing about the fob ''not '' working just how to use it .

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Have you tried the phone app? There isn't a time delay or a safety feature causing not to start. It should start the same when it's warm or well below freezing.

If it was the battery he wouldn't be able to start it with the key when it's cold ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
puppeteer said:
Does it maybe have a time delay when there is a certain temp? Or a safety default that doesn't allow it to remote start at those temps?
it could have...... but i would think the reason for the remote start is to warm/cool the inside so they would have no reason to have a default for warm or to cold . i am thinking it could pos.be the bat.in the truck only thing is the gage is aways showing 14 give or take .went out this morn.50*remote started right up but if it drops below that won't work .got me ????
if it is the bat.in the truck it should tell me it is low or show it on the gage it tells me everything else like on the nav.you will see something pop up and you look over to read it and it says don't take your eyes off the road while driving LOL .anyway i guess it will get figured out . thanks much for your reply.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Have you tried the phone app? There isn't a time delay or a safety feature causing not to start. It should start the same when it's warm or well below freezing.

If it was the battery he wouldn't be able to start it with the key when it's cold ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my thoughts too on the bat.but thats the only thing left and that ''shows ok''.i have not tried the phone yet but i will .thanks for the reply

· SilveradoSierra Guru, How-To Author
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,666 Posts
How far away are you trying to remote start it? From inside your house maybe?
Just trying to rule things out, I usually step up to the closest window or open the back door near where I park.

· Registered
873 Posts
So looked into this issue with other brands and they seem to the same issues. They vehicle remote start will start the car all the way to -22F but it doesn't allow it at 15F. The solutions were to replace the ECU and worked fine after that. I wonder if a ECU flash and install would correct the problem of if a entire new one is needed?

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
09chevyman said:
How far away are you trying to remote start it? From inside your house maybe?
Just trying to rule things out, I usually step up to the closest window or open the back door near where I park.
about 8ft.in the house at the window .i tried something yesterday and will see if it works today turn the key to the start pos . 5 times (don't start ) then hit the lock button till you hear a click and it should reset everything. i know on the 5th.turn those dash lights lit up so bright they blind you .i will let you guys know .thanks for the reply

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
puppeteer said:
So looked into this issue with other brands and they seem to the same issues. They vehicle remote start will start the car all the way to -22F but it doesn't allow it at 15F. The solutions were to replace the ECU and worked fine after that. I wonder if a ECU flash and install would correct the problem of if a entire new one is needed?
good thought .i ran across something like that and it would not surprise me .there are so many recalls on that truck now bfgko recall replaced with ko2's,brake ped.falls off ecall air bag recall, 4+4 mod . recall,a few more hope this is not another one . thanks for your reply.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.