Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am completely new to this site. I have never owned a non diesel PU before but absolutely love this 2007 Crew Cab Sierra Z71. I have had it a few days and when I first tried the remote start it worked and now it does not. Any ideas. I was going to go through all the fuses and check. I got a new 2nd key fob yesterday but it stopped working before that process
BTW
I hit lock button first and I do get the lights to blink and I can hear a relay but no starter engaging
Thanks
Mark

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
If you have locked your truck and walked into a store or the house, once you get back close enough to your vehicle, you must hit the 'lock' first in order for the remote to work; it is a security feature. Hope that helps. FYI, the fact that this is your first non-diesel is irrelevant, but welcome to the world of less power and mileage!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Welcome to the site, mark. I agree with the Site Icon here. It may just be that you didn't hit the lock button first, or that you aren't holding down the start button long enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am locking and holding
Lights flicker just as it does when remote starting. You here the relay and 'no start'
It's gotta be some electrical issue I believe
I have owned a few other remote start GM's and they have all worked great

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yeah, must be a gremlin somewhere in there. Good luck diagnosing that! Hopefully it's just a loose wire or something simple.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Picture of your remote please. Does it just have lock, unlock or do you also have the arrow that is made into a circle. Usually press lock first, then hold the arrow circle for 1.5 - 2 seconds. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Sounds CRAZY but try opening and closing your hood. I had the same issue and the hood was popped but wasn't noticeable. I noticed it after I hit a bump and the hood popped up.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Just to be clear, you hit the lock button just like when you want to lock the doors after leaving the truck. THEN LET GO of the lock button and right away push and hold the REMOTE START button. It may take 3-5 seconds for the truck to start so hold it for at least five seconds.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There are a few things that will keep the system from starting.

Open hood
Low fuel level
Check engine light on

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Wrenz71: So what you are saying is that the remote start will only work about 8% of the time. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My remote start began to work again. What changed you may ask..... Well I had my catalytic converter replaced and also the O2 sensors. It has the Y catalytic and the minute I picked the truck up I had to try the remote start. She started right up. I can't explain it but that's what happened. Could it be.... That GM limits the remote start of the catalytic a are blocked to keep overheating from occurring during a long idle. Just a hunch. Thanks for all the comments
Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
i dont think gm would limit it, over heating should not be a problem, if the cats are going out that means your tune set up is way off, they shouldnt run so hot that it causes that type of problem. O2 senors, maf senor, bad brain would be sources.

for the remote start, maybe when they installed the new hardware, it reset the throttle position senor? when they tested to make sure the 02 senors were reading and the brain was receiving?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.