Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I've searched the forums for a few hours and found (and read) tons of threads about remote start issues, but they've all been issues where the truck was throwing a code, the door was slightly ajar, hood latch, etc. Mine seems to be different. I've only had the truck (Brand new 2016 Sierra Z71) maybe 2 months, and I've used the remote start plenty of times and never had a single issue. I've used the MyGMC app as well and have also never had an issue. Now all of the sudden this morning the remote start won't work. I can lock, unlock, even roll the windows down using the key fob, the lights on the truck flash like it's about to start, but then nothing happens, and yes I'm pressing the buttons correctly. I've tried my other brand new remote as well. If I use the MyGMC app, I can lock the doors, sound the horn, etc. but when I try to remote start I get the screen below. I know the thing to do is take it to the dealer and I plan to do that as a last resort believe me, I just was hoping it was something simple some of you guys had run across maybe? Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Someone in another forum mentioned unhooking the battery cables to reset the system, but I thought I'd ask you all first and see if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks in advance! :x
IMG_6211.PNG

Attachments

· Registered
135 Posts
On most vehicles you can only use the remote start a couple of times before you have to drive the vehicle. Also if the vehicle is not within a good service area it will not start with the app. To be honest with you it sounds like it is acting as if you were starting it and letting it run until it turned off. I am sure that probably isn't the case though. I do know that sometimes if you were to unlock the vehicle or press the lock button to many times it would do this. First of all I would try unlocking the vehicle and then locking it again (hearing the alarm set), wait about a minute and try from the beginning. Make sure you aren't doing the combination to quickly as well. I know that seems stupid but that is how computers are. They only understand one thing at a time. If all else fails, you have a warranty that says "free repairs". Keep me posted.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually in the same spot I've always used it so I don't think it's the area. And I have let it run until it turned off once or twice but I've used it plenty of times since then. I've tried going slow through the process, going fast, starting over like you said, but all the same result. Really weird. The thing that really got me puzzled was when the app gave me that error, to which I googled and couldn't believe I could find one similar result, but maybe the app isn't old enough yet to find many people with that same error code (from the app). It's driving me nuts, not that I NEED the remote start so bad, just the point that it's literally brand new and I'm dealing with this BS you know. Thanks for the response nonetheless, I really appreciate it, as well as anyone else who can offer any suggestions! Just trying to avoid dealing with the dealership ugh, nothing is ever easy with them and it's an hour drive just to get there and waste no telling how much time watching them scratch their heads.

· Registered
135 Posts
Make sure to call them first so that you can arrange a loaner vehicle. I work at an Infiniti Dealership and it is a constant problem to have someone just walk in and wait on the vehicle when it could take some time. That way you don't have to stay and wait and they have time to look at it.
I understand the hassle of Chevrolet dealerships. My step father is having an issue with his as he just bought the 2016 Silverado with the 5.3L and they just like to give him the run around. I would love to fix the issues for him but I can't do them under warranty.
Also when you call make sure you don't mention anything about being on the forums. Most dealerships look down on that kind of thing because a lot of people on here "play mechanic" and pretend like they know what they are taking about and it ends in just a bunch of time and effort wasted.
All in all I hope everything works out for you. Let me know what they say.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I know this is an old post since I started it back in December 2016, but hopefully it will help someone else one day. Well, I finally "accidentally" solved the problem with my remote start not working. I was cleaning my engine compartment the other day, and really just poking around looking at everything under the hood, cleaning things I normally wouldn't clean, etc., I noticed a small wiring harness that looked like it ran to the hood latch under the plastic shield in the engine bay, and it looked like it had been chewed on (like by a mouse or something). So I got a flashlight and sure enough, something had a nice meal and actually chewed through one of the wires inside the tubing, but it was tucked under so I never would have noticed it. I had no idea what these wires were for, so I searched every wiring diagram I could find, and they are for the hood latch sensor. Never had this on any other truck. When I saw this, a light bulb went off and I remembered people on here telling me the remote start won't work if the doors are open, etc. so I ran to my tools, popped the cover off, removed the 2 bolts since I barely had enough wire to get to (thanks mouse), stripped the ends of the wire, and voila! Remote start fired right up! I was actually dealing with a little mouse problem in my garage around the time this happened, so looks like I better check everywhere else too haha. Fortunately the mice have since been "removed".

I know it's just one of those one in a million chances this happened, especially on a brand new truck, but ya never know. Hope it helps someone else down the road! Here are some pics. Thanks to everyone who offered their help 10 months ago haha! Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share. Hate when people never report back on issues to let everyone know if or how they solved their issue. :D

Attachments

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for coming back to update your thread as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Yah, I would have thought you would get the "HOOD OPEN" warning in the DIC every time you fired it up.

By the way, did you ever take it in to the dealer to have them check it out? What did they say?

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 LC9 211k mi
18,528 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...almost a year and never took it to the dealer to have a look and get it fixed?

Kind of hard to see what all is there...but are you sure it was a critter and now the hood hing mechanism binding or dragging on the wire bundle? If a critter...do you live in a rural area and park it outside?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually bought it from a dealer that's far away from where I live so it's not exactly convenient to take it in and honestly it's something I never think about until I decide to use that feature, which isn't often really. As far as where I live and park, yeah I live in the country and we have plenty of mice, squirrels, etc. If you go back and look at the pics, you can see the chew marks on the black wrap/sleeve that covers the wires in that area. And if you've ever had a squirrel or mouse/rat chew on something, you know what it looks like trust me haha.

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 LC9 211k mi
18,528 Posts
Yes...absolutely. The only thing you would have to go back to the original selling dealer for is if they gave you some dealer specific perks like oil changes or car washes as part of the deal. It is certainly good to have a relationship with a selling dealer and to have them maintain it and deal with any issues...but that is part of the bonus of buying a vehicle with a national network of dealers...they all do the exact same warranty work on their vehicles and get paid the same from corporate for it.

17,133 Posts
Yes, I bought my truck from the guy I have bought all my vehicles for the last 20 years and he is 120 miles away. I have taken my truck for most maintenance work and warranty work to my local dealer and I have had three warranty issues resolved by them. I have another warranty issue that I will be taking the truck in before my powertrain warranty ends next summer. I have a small leak on the rear pinion and they have already identified the leak and told me it would be covered. It isn't bad enough to need immediate attention and isn't likely to get worse between now and next summer so I will just wait. But, yah, you can go to any GM dealer for warranty claims.

· Registered
300 Posts
Gotcha

Attachments

· Registered
1 Posts
Bobbydc,, Thank you so much for coming back and posting what your issue was. I will go out and remove the cover to check my hood latch wiring soon as the sun comes back up..
Mine just stopped all of a sudden also on my 2011 Silverodo. I am getting the same message when i try KeyFob on my iPhone MyChevy App.. No DIC Warnings of Engine, Open Hood, Low Oil or Coolant and no Door Ajar. When i try to remote start from the Remote KeyFob.. The Doors lock and the Hazard lights flash 6 times and Nothing.. I too have reset the start cycle with the keys. Made sure the doors was all shut along with the hood.... I will try and remember to come back here and post if that was the issue or if I had to take it to the dealer.. My warranty is out so i dread that....

17,133 Posts
Wow, this thread was brought back from the grave. I hope it works for you though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.