Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove my ITBC from my 2016 2500HD truck and install a 3rd party unit. I have had great luck out of a Tekonsha controllers. I have had a lot of trucks but this new 2016 has constant trailer brake controller problems, I have no tail lights and no brakes on 7 out of 9 trailers I own but I own 3 other 2016 trucks and they work on those trucks that have the ITBC installed. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with my truck, its been 11 months of ownership and ive towed everything without trailer brakes.
I hate the sensitivity of this factory installed controller and want to replace it. Has anyone done this, has anyone had luck getting their factory junk to work when having problems with it? I simply cannot have the brakes and wiring reworked on every trailer I own for one truck when they work on the other trucks. Currently I own 33 Chevrolet trucks from a 1999 to everything in between and all of them being 2500 or 3500 series trucks and like I said above (4) 2016 models but only this one has issues.

PLEASE HELP

· Registered
112 Posts
Have you turned down the gain on the other trucks to reduce their sensitivity? The new trucks use the "dynamic multi axis accelerometer" to determine how hard it applies the electric brakes like all modern trailer brake controllers. It's not hard to remove it, but will cause you grief the truck will now have nothing to monitor and will say "Service trailer brake system" or something like that. The plug for it is under your driver side kick panel. I believe it's the top left most socket. For you a plug will be there already just unplug it and plug in your controller.

Found this video oddly enough for the exact controller your using. I have the P3 in my 2015 1500 and love it! I'll never pull 4 axle trailers but it's nice to know the controller I have has to balls to stop more then I can pull.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.