Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty straightforward job, just wanted to post some observations about doing the job myself:

The retaining clip on the brake pedal faced downwards, so I used a stub screwdriver to pry the center part out, then pushed the clip up. You may need to push/pull the clip (depending on which way it's installed) so the center part can be pryed out, as it has a lip that will catch on the bolt threads, preventing it from moving.
I used both a 15mm regular and deep sockets, for the inside bolts on the 2 nuts nearest the steering column, the deep ones getting them initially loose and to tighten them at the end, but the regular one to get the nuts off/on, as the clearance around them wasn't enough for both the deep socket and the wobble/u-joint. I also found putting the nut in the regular socket, then working the socket with my hand worked well for getting the nuts started when installing them (vs trying to get the nut started by hand without anything else). I used both kinds of wobbles, I prefer using the impact one as it doesn't flop around as much, but I needed the regular one for the top one by the steering column as the angle was just too much for the impact one.
Hand tool Wood Gas Font Brush

For taking off the master cylinder from the hydroboost, using a impact on the nuts may spin the studs instead (they are actually bolts screwed into the hydroboost. Putting a wrench on them while doing it prevents that from happening.
For doing the swap, I removed the lines and immediately installed them on the replacement HB to minimize the mess and getting crap in the fittings. The lines are long enough so that the replacement HB can be next to the alternator while doing this. Just make sure the lines go the same way w.r.t. each other and it's no problem. I also put a large rag in the engine bay underneath the HB's while doing this to further minimize the mess.
The only real problem I had was the final step of reinstalling the brake rod/brake switch to the brake pedal lever. I spent 15 minutes getting frustrated trying to get it together, before looking at several youtube videos on the process and realized I was trying to get the switch on the wrong way. Flipped it around and it went on no problem. I found it helpful to remove the cover to the fuse panel at the end of the dash, and look through it to see the pedal/switch/rod from the side to get it all aligned right, and then install the retaining clip.

These two vids in particular were helpful:

The HB I took out is basically leaking everywhere, and I bought a seal/rebuild kit for it, but to fully disassemble/rebuild it, you need to cut/replace a couple different parts (for example, the input brake rod). I was going to install it, but those parts aren't readily available short of getting another one at a junk yard and using it for parts, but if I have to do that, I might as well just find one that doesn't need work and install it (if/when this one fails). Some of the seals/parts can be replaced on the HB if necessary, but doing a full rebuild just doesn't seem like a good idea with these things. It was a similar thing with rebuilding the power steering pump, you can get a rebuild kit that works fine, but the large plug (shaped like a freeze plug) & clip that goes into the back of the pump are easy to damage taking the pump apart, and then you need another pump for parts...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, yeah, torque for the mounting bolts (both to the MC and to the firewall) is 24 ft-lbs. The two pressure line fittings are 20 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't that bad, the access is pretty good for being so far up behind the dash, but I'm also fortunate to have a good selection of tools to make the job a little easier (like those wobbles and long extension).

·
Registered
44 Posts
It wasn't that bad, the access is pretty good for being so far up behind the dash, but I'm also fortunate to have a good selection of tools to make the job a little easier (like those wobbles and long extension).
Yea great tools make everything easier but once I saw the wobble extention I knew it was def shitty lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts