Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My handle broke on my tailgate, so I'll be picking up an new handle tonight on the way home from work and replacing it. I already know I'll have a few obstacles...one being that the bolts on the back have been Rhino-lined over. The one I'm worried about is removing what they call the bezel, or the plastic cover. The new handle doesn't come with a new one and I've read and hear that it's easy to break the clips off of them. Can anyone tell me the trick of removing that without breaking the clips?

· Registered
48 Posts
I went through the same issue a year ago and didn't just break a peg off the bezel but also broke one of the two plastic clips that connect the latch handle to the wires that run to the catches on each side. If I were doing this again I would remove everything before hitting the parts store. I had to go back for the bezel and then again for the clips but perhaps you have a steadier hand than me.

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BCZ71 and Tug: That's was I was afraid of...I was hoping for more of a "just do this and you'll be fine. you can do it!" but realistically I figured it wasn't going to be that easy. I can take half my motor apart and put it back together without complication, but throw something small and dumb like this at me and I find every possible way to shoot myself in the foot :lol:

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I defied the laws of nature and Murphey's law...I got the cover off without busting the tabs and the new handle came with new cable clips. It took awhile to dig the bolt heads out of the Rhino Liner, but after that it was only about a 10 minute job. Thanks for the help.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
My guess is that you exercised all the appropriate care and that is what led to the successful job. I am sure most just start prying away at it with reckless abandon and realize too late that more care would have been prudent.
Good job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.