Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mistakenly unplugged my rear bumper reverse sensor and now my dash chimes that I need to "Service park assist." It's been on all week and the computer hasn't figured out my sensors are all plugged in. Anyone know how I can get this fixed without giving the dealer $100 to reset my sensors? Disconnect my negative battery terminal?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Not that this may be a permanent solution, but if you're speaking about the Ultrasonic Parking Assist sensors, have you tried disabling the system? This can be done by pressing the rear park aid disable button located next to the radio. I also found that messages in the DIC that don't require immediate action can be cleared by pressing the trip odometer reset stem, or the set/reset button (manual states it should be a check?). I'm afraid I was unable to find information on how to help the computer recognize the sensors; hopefully a community member will be able to help out!

Regards,
Sarah (Assisting Jessica)
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi I am having the same issue. I change my bumper and I didn't disconnect any of the sensors or alter any of them but my dash reads "service park assist" I drive a 2013 2500. Brought it to the dealer and told me they don't know what it is and that there isn't a reset button, that once it's fixed the light goes off? But I haven't changed anything and all the sensors worked on the previous bumper? I am lost gone back and double checked everything but can't figure it out. Any advice?

·
Registered
195 Posts
After some cold weather and snow I had a thin layer of ice on top of my sensors that caused them to constantly go off in reverse to the point where they shut themselves off and wouldn't beep at all, DIC told me it was off and the light was on on the turn off park assist button and when I would press it the truck would not turn it back on even though I had removed all the ice. Went on all day but the next morning when I was backing up out of the driveway it was on and all was back to normal, you may just want to wait a day or two if you haven't already.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
You will need a scan tool to view the last 7 events in the history but here is a list of possible causes and corrections to check before spending any money.

Bezel not fully seated and tabs not extended applying pressure on sensor causing misalignment and allowing the front surface of sensor to come in contact with Fascia/Bezel
Verify that bezel locking tabs are fully engaged

Bezel/retainer coming in contact with Sensor face
Reposition sensor and align it to center of bezel or retainer.

Damaged to bezel or retainer
Replace Bezel/retainer

Silicone insulator surrounding sensor maybe missing, cut, or twisted.
Replace sensor insulator ring if damaged.

One or more of the sensors may be scratched, the paint maybe chipped or excessive paint on sensor that is greater than 6 mils thickness.
Replace sensor. Refer to Rear Parking Assist Alarm Sensor Replacement procedure.

Improperly installed sensor, sensor maybe be crooked due to a tight wire harness.
Re-install sensor and correct harness strain on sensor.

Out of round or jagged hole in fascia causing mechanical contact with painted surface of sensor
Make repair to fascia by removing any mechanical contact between fascia and painted surface of sensor

Sensor fell out of retainer/bezel with sensor point toward ground or inside rear of bumper/fascia
Re-install sensor and verify sensor is centered in bezel/retainer

The object alarm module has lost or received invalid GMLAN signal(s).
Check for Ucodes or ECU related DTC's. No sensor replacement is needed

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Ignition ON, verify the parking assist system is enabled through the DIC.
⇒ If the parking assist system is manually disabled, enable the system. Refer to the vehicle owners manual for instructions on enabling the system.
 2. Verify Park Assist Blocked See Owners Manual message is not displayed on DIC.
⇒ If Park Assist Blocked See Owners Manual message is displayed, refer to Parking Assist System Malfunction.
 3. Observe the scan tool Park Assist Switch parameter while pressing and releasing the park assist disable switch. The parameter should change between Active and Inactive.
⇒ If the parameter does not cycle between the specified values, refer to Park Assist Disable Switch Circuit Malfunction.
 4. Observe the scan tool Park Assist Switch LED parameter while pressing and releasing the park assist disable switch. The parameter should change between On and Off.
⇒ If the parameter does not cycle between the specified values, refer to Park Assist Disable LED Circuit Malfunction.
 5. Transmission in REVERSE, verify one audible beep sounds and the scan tool Park Assist System Status parameter is Enable.
Note: After completing the next step the vehicle might need to be driven in the forward direction at speed greater than 40 km/h (25 mph).

⇒ If not the specified values, refer to Diagnostic Aids and the scan tool Park Assist Disable History parameters to determine the cause of the inhibit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got in a fender vender and had to have some body work done on our 2011 Crew Cab LT. Even though the bumper was not replaced, our sensor range went down to 3 feet for the first beep after the repair. The body shop (Service King) claims it needs to be reset at the dealer. I made an appointment with our local dealer on Wednesday. Hope they are as knowledgeable as you, Wildchevy.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Well, I would go with how up fitters deal with the park sensors when they put on different bodies in place of the bed. They remove the park assist fuse in the fuse box on the side of the dash. They then remove positive battery cable on battery for a minute. Then they hook up the battery again, and voila... no more park sensors. Now if you just followed this procedure, then after having the pickup think there are no park sensors like above, then take off the battery cable, then plug the park assist sensor fuse back in and then hook the battery back up again. That should reset everything and start from scratch. I never hooked mine back up, but I did the up fitter thing to totally shut down the sensors without the system having a cow. It was like they never existed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Copperhead said:
Well, I would go with how up fitters deal with the park sensors when they put on different bodies in place of the bed. They remove the park assist fuse in the fuse box on the side of the dash. They then remove positive battery cable on battery for a minute. Then they hook up the battery again, and voila... no more park sensors. Now if you just followed this procedure, then after having the pickup think there are no park sensors like above, then take off the battery cable, then plug the park assist sensor fuse back in and then hook the battery back up again. That should reset everything and start from scratch. I never hooked mine back up, but I did the up fitter thing to totally shut down the sensors without the system having a cow. It was like they never existed.
Thank you very much for your advise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Copperhead said:
I have issues with my 08 GMC park assist as well. I have replaced the wire harness in the rear bumper as well as all 4 sensors. I still get the "Service Park Assist" message. I tried your suggestion as well as any other tricks and tips I have run across to just disable the system and I still get a message saying "Park Assist Off". This is just as annoying, you still have to press the check button on the dash to see the odometer. Any other ideas? I have talked to 2 different GM service techs and they don't have a clue.

·
Registered
275 Posts
when unplugged, does the messege center nag not show? I'd be happy with it not even on,, nor ding dinging,, like it's disabled,, so does it stay quiet with this unplugged with no nag messages and extra ding dings? I've seen this under the seat too, when I had my seats out for a deep carpet cleaning,,,, to me I thought it had something to do with the side air bags... didnt give it much thought.. just couldnt understand why gm put a control box under the carpet under the seat,, where the temp is the slowest to warm up,, in winter,, and so much moisture...

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you disconnect the battery and then pull the fuse and then reconnect the battery the ECM will forget about the park assist. Just don't install the fuse again.I have tested this on my 2013 GMC and until I can figure out the issue this is how I have it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the 2014 Silverado? I have a 2011, but had to replace the bumper, so I went with a 2014 bumper to get the side steps. Now just need to figure out the wiring for the sensors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to go new from GM, was in a minor accident, so insurance covered most of it. I think the total amount was $1200, I only paid a small part of that. There was a used one with some scratches for $500. I'm starting to think the sensors are not compatible. For now, I just pulled the fuse and reminding myself to be more careful, and not wait for the beeping!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts