Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2012 4x4 SLE CC
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 5.3 CC 4WD SLE has 62,000 miles on it and I can feel pulsing when slowing....classic rotor problem. A bit confusing because I'm the easiest driver there ever was with breaking - gentle. Anyway, is it cheaper just to get new rotors or have these turned?

Thanks.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
I prefer the power stop pad and rotor kit. And no, you have to remove the brake caliper/bracket and there is a torx screw. After that it slides right off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
A guy has to be careful and diligent with those lifetime warranties. Sure, you can get them replaced for free, but that is just the part. It doesn't include the labor costs or your time and effort. Also, you had better keep receipts and records or they likely won't honor the warranty. I am the kind of guy that will misplace the receipt. Also, if you buy them online, they will probably require you to pay shipping charges, and that can be significant with rotors. The parts supplies realize that a great deal of the time, customers won't even think about the warranty a year or two down the line and will just go out and buy a new set
So, if you go the lifetime warranty route, just make sure you do your due diligence. Otherwise, just find a good quality product with good reviews and be done with it.

· Registered
875 Posts
I buy lifetime warranty parts and photo copy the receipts and keep them in the glove box. Also i do all my own car work so i dont pay anyone to do it.

the last set of lifetime warranty rotors i bought were Wagner brake rotors. I wouldnt call those cheap nor junky junkyard parts.they arent even chiniese made.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Personally, I am Powerstop all the way. Always on my trucks. Had them on a few cars also and have been nothing but impressed with performance, life and price. I order them on Autopartswarehouse.com

Depending on where you get them parts. Auto Zone for instance stores all purchases in the computer system for warranty purposes. Lot of people refused to give information when I worked there. Fine by me. Keep track of all your own receipts. Now, a lot of companies are no longer doing lifetime on rotors. Still pads are lifetime from many though. Just something to keep an eye on.

· Registered
875 Posts
Fisger8new said:
Depending on where you get them parts. Auto Zone for instance stores all purchases in the computer system for warranty purposes. Lot of people refused to give information when I worked there. Fine by me. Keep track of all your own receipts. Now, a lot of companies are no longer doing lifetime on rotors. Still pads are lifetime from many though. Just something to keep an eye on.
some people do like to do things the hard way. all power to ya. and they will be the first to complain they dont have a reciept when their stuff breaks. i dont always give my my info but i dont mind at parts stores but i really only buy at orielly.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
Wish we had an O'Reilly near me. Unfortunately the closest one is 160 miles away. Just a bit further than I want to drive for auto parts.

Also, don't forget to fully inspect the brake hardware. I can't tell you how many brakes I have done for people and seen caliper slider pins that were gouged up and obviously should have been replaced multiple times before I had even seen them. If it's blackened, has corrosion, rust or dried and hardened grease. Don't even bother cleaning them, just replace.

· Registered
39 Posts
Power Stop K2069-36 Z36 Severe-Duty Truck And Tow 1-Click Brake Kit from Amazon. Awesome product - installed it in the driveway. Saved $258 compared to having the dealer do the front brakes with what I would consider lower quality parts. The Power Stop kit is awesome.

-Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.