Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I purchased the 1307 RC 2" Level Kit for '12 Silverado 1500. I was able to install the driver side with little issue. The passenger proved otherwise. I finally got everything bolted back down and tightened after I inserted the spacer. My problem is tightening down the upper ball joint. The directions say to use a 7/32 hex key to hold the joint while using an 18mm wrench to tighten the nut. The problem is, somehow, the hex key won't fit into the bottom of the ball joint. It appears as if it was bent somehow. I tried using a 3/16 hex key since it was smaller and it would fit, but the ball joint just keeps spinning and the 3/16 hex key does't work. My truck is sitting in my garage useless! Can anyone tell me if there is legitimately any other way to tighten that nut for the upper ball joint WITHOUT using a hex key? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
stick a jack under your lower ball joint. Jack it up a bit to compress your suspension, allowing your UCA to come off the bump stop. then put all your weight on the UCA and it should pinch the balljoint enough to keep it from spinning.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Have you tried using visegrips to hold it?

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ferriaolo, I'll go and try that right now.

jusdon, I sadly don't have vise-grips. Most of my tools were stolen the night before Halloween out of my truck's toolbox when it was sitting in my driveway. I haven't had a chance to replace all of my tools, but I got wrenches and sockets to start. Vise-grips are definitely on my replacement list in the very near future.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried your suggestion, ferraiolo. No luck. I jacked up the LBJ. As hard as I push down on the UCA, the bolt just keeps spinning as I try and tighten the nut. Just for sh*ts and giggles, I tried inserting the 7/32 hex key again. It slightly fits, but It doesn't appear to go in all the way, which isn't stopping the bolt from spinning. This is becoming super frustrating...

· Registered
516 Posts
Is there dirt or something in the allen hole on the ball joint? do you have a small pick or screw driver you can use to try to clean it out some ? Can you hammer the allen wrench into the hole if it starts alittle bit.. Might just have to replace it with a new one if nothing else. Good luck..

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no dirt in the receiver and there's no dirt on the ball joint. I'm gonna try hammering the allen key in there. It's tough though because there is very little room to work with.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm all out of ideas at this point. No matter how much downward pressure I put on the UCA, the bolt keeps spinning. There is no hex key that will help prevent the spindle from spinning. That drives me insane because it worked perfectly on the driver side. I don't have Vise-Grips or else I'd attempt that. I'd run to the store, but that's difficult when my only mode of transportation in currently sitting on jack stands in the garage.

I have a crazy idea and it may stupid so please let me know if it's even going to work. If I put the tire back on and drop the truck to the ground, would that be enough pressure on the joint to tighten the nut? I know that's crazy and stupid, but I'm curious to know if it would actually work.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
Have you tried hammering the control arm down or trying to pry it down with a pry bar?

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have but the ball joint bolt just keeps spinning.

· Registered
516 Posts
Do you have a grinder or anyway to lightly grind some on the sides of the allen wrench to make it slide in the hole? or even the tip of a old screw driver or something to push up in the hole to hold it. Do you have a pliers or needle nose to try to hold the smooth part by the boot? Or anything to hold pressure against the top by the boot may give you enough to get it started..

· Registered
158 Posts
Might try a metric allen wrench, I am pretty sure mine were metric. You can also find someone with a wire feed welder to weld a bolt to the bottom of the stud just below the nut then you would have something to grab hold of.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried removing the nut, but no luck. It continues to spin whether I try tighten it or loosen it.

I don't have a grinder or else I'd try that for sure. I tried using a 5mm Allen key, but no luck, it continues to spin. Tried an old screwdriver bit to put upward pressure in to the hole. No luck. Tried pliers to hold the smooth part by the knuckle. No luck.

I legitimately don't know what else to do.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
hacksaw and new uca from the parts store

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.