Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500HD WT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Silverado 2500HD Double Cab. (full doors but the shorter back seat)
I bought the truck with Rough Country Runninmg Boards installed on it.
Last year I went crazy trying to isolate a minor rattle in what seamed like my doors.
Turned out to be a loose mounting bolt on the Drop Step, Tightened it up and the noise went away for a while.
Noise came back last week. Got under truck, Bolts are tight and now the thin back wall of the rocker panel is broken away from flexing.
Has anyone had similar issues? What have you done to reinforce/fix the area so this does not continue?

Honestly I am not sure I will be reinstalling them due to my next set of tires being smaller so I will not need the little assist to get in and out.
But it still bothers me.

These are the steps
Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Font Metal

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
Are the rockers rusted any? That could be one issue.

But thats the problem with rocker mounts vs body mounted ones imo. I dont know of any solution other than welding back together if its not rusted out. Or replacing if its really bad.

Got a picture of area?

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 2500HD WT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I should have taken pics, but did not. No rust at all.
It is purly from ot flexing, I use the step every time I get in and out of truck.
I removed them on Saturday and have fallen in and out of truck at least 5 times since.
I figured I would reinforce with some flat bar, but how long with that last before that breaks the surrounding area.
That is why I am inclined to not put them back at all.
Its a Crap design for sure.
The truck is here at work, I will go snap a pic or two now.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Asphalt Bumper

Gesture Wood Plant Twig Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Plant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts