Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone from Canada or outside of the States can answer this for me.

I've got a couple parts coming from Rough Country that are under warranty so it's free. I've asked twice if I had t pay the duty on the items and they said that I wouldn't have to.
I checked my tracking ID and it says I have to pay duty. So, I contacted RC again and now they're saying I have to pay duty, and I should contact the manager to figure it out.

Has anyone had to pay duties on items covered under Warranty from RC?

· Registered
414 Posts
I imagine the duty being a free crossing borders?

Warranty, usually just covers the item itself, sometimes the buyer will have to pay shipping back to said company, or pay the shipping from the company. Which includes duty.
Warranty doesn't always cover shipping or fees associated with shipping or in your case, duties.. it just covers the failure of the part.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GMT604 said:
Made in the USA? Duty free. But you may have to pay PST, GST, and a handling charge depending on the value they put on the items.

I have never paid Duty on anything I bought from the States.
How do you avoid paying duty for something that comes over the border?

Rough Country put $0 on the receipt and said that they put a zero dollar charge on the items, but they said that it's a "Brokers fee"

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Parts made in the USA are duty free. A broker's fee is not duty. Shipped by USPS there is no broker's fee, usually only if shipped UPSor one of the other ripoffs.

The parts I buy in bulk and get shipped regularly from SC are actually made in China but the wholesaler is in the USA so no duty because he marks them Made in USA. No broker's fee either, because he sends them USPS first class package.

· Registered
316 Posts
I have had this happen before. UPS will charge you brokerage, even if it's a warranty return. To avoid taxes, the shipper needs to clearly say "warranty return". To avoid brokerage don't use UPS, or, be your own broker, or be sure it marked as valued under $20.

UPS once tried to charge me $40 for a warranty return valued at $30. After several phone failed calls to ups, I gave in. When the clerk at the UPS depot told me it was time to pay, I grabbed the package off the counter and walked out. I no longer will buy cross boarder from any place that ships UPS.

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mandinga said:
I have had this happen before. UPS will charge you brokerage, even if it's a warranty return. To avoid taxes, the shipper needs to clearly say "warranty return". To avoid brokerage don't use UPS, or, be your own broker, or be sure it marked as valued under $20.

UPS once tried to charge me $40 for a warranty return valued at $30. After several phone failed calls to ups, I gave in. When the clerk at the UPS depot told me it was time to pay, I grabbed the package off the counter and walked out. I no longer will buy cross boarder from any place that ships UPS.
Unfortunately I don't have a choice with who it ships with.
I suppose I'll give UPS a call whenever it makes it across the border and into Canada to figure out the cost and reason for the payment.

It might just be an automatic message that shows up on the tracking website whenever something comes in across the border...I hope.

· Registered
525 Posts
I purchased a boat carrier for my truck made in the U.S., and it was tariff free to import it into Canada, but subject to full GST (tax) on the value.

Auto parts are in the category under NAFTA that has a 0% tariff from the States, and 8% from elsewhere into Canada, but you must provide proof that it's manufactured in the States or Mexico to avoid extra duties.

As its been mentioned, fees for the delivery service are up to the carrier so definitely have to shop around and pick the best way to cut costs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.