Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so lately I have noticed whenever my truck goes over bumps and cracks in the road its pretty rough and not smooth especially on the highway. I have the torsion bars cranked and I know that has an effect but my dad has an 03 z71 and he has his torsion bars cranked some and it feels like it just floats over bumps and is super smooth. Ive only put about 7000 miles on this truck since I got it and never really noticed until now how hard the suspension rides. I have a buddy that works at advanced and gives me his discount, I was looking at Bilsteins but Advanced doesnt sell that brand. My next pick is the Monroe Reflex monotube shock, anyone know if this is a decent shock?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've found Rock Auto to be far cheaper than Advance on a lot of things. I just put a set of struts on an Impala and they beat Advance by $50 apiece. They were even cheaper than Amazon by $20. I bought the complete assembly with the spring. They didn't show them in their online catalog but I went to Monroe's website and looked up the part number and then searched for it on Rock Auto and they had them. Ordered them on Monday night and got them Wednesday morning. Just watch the shipping because they usually don't combine it and make sure it's not back ordered.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
You've got to catch advance when they're offering 40% off promo codes

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks a lot guys, I guess I can go with Bilsteins now

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
How high is your truck cranked? Anything more than a inch and a half and your running out of control arm travel and the ride gets worse as you go up from there. Shocks won't fix a no travel condition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My torsion bars are cranked all the way lol, I guess I should back off a couple turns and see if it gets better. I just hate how the truck looks when its raked in the front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I guess Ill back them off a bit tomorrow and see how it is and Im just going to have to deal with the rake lol.

·
Registered
706 Posts
ya, without doing a full lift you will have to live with rake. Doing a level just by cranking torsion bars is easy.. But makes for a rough ride cheap and rough.. More costly and smooth, your choise

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point slw, Im only keeping this truck for 2 more years until Im done with the loan (trying to build up credit) and after that Im looking at getting a duramax.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd put the torsion bars back to their stock setting and either buy a leveling kit to raise the front or buy some shackles to lower the rear. I personally prefer to lower the rear. I bought some shackles from Auto Zone for $39.99 and installed them in just a couple of hours. I really love the way it rides, handles, etc., and most of all I love the way it looks! Good luck on your quest!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah those wont work unfortunately, just torsion bars and shocks up front. Id throw a 4 or 6" rcx lift in it but its just not worth the money if Im gonna be selling it anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.