Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and was hoping for some help in diagnosing a noise my truck just started making last night. I have a 1998 Silverado 2500 4x4 diesel. The car has just started making vibrations and rumbling when i decelerate at high speeds. It sounds and feels like the car is driving over a rumble strip. The only thing that has changed in this time is the tires. I moved a set of tires from a k2500 GMC suburban. The tires are a little bigger approximately 2-inches bigger in the front and 1-inch bigger in the rear. I have done some searching and saw a lot of posts on sites about the driveshaft. I did some testing of my own and it doesn't seem to have any movement in it besides the rotation. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response.

I just dropped it off at the local shop. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do much of the testing myself. The sound got worse on my drive into work today, it is more of a grinding sound. Will have to wait to see what the mechanic says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw the mechanic turns out the whole rear end is shot. Currently, looking around to find a used rear end hopefully i'll have some luck. Does anyone know if you can swap in a 97 K2500 GMC suburban rear end in or does the fact one is diesel and the other is gas make any difference?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.