Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, New here so not sure if I am in right area.
What I have is a 2106 Sierra 1500 4x4 Crew 5.3.
Stock wheel size is 275.55.20 I want to know if I change to a different wheel size will it effect truck or trans shifting points? Have a almost new set of tires from old truck and want to run just for the winter, will I have problems?
Other set is 265.60.17's. These are about 2" smaller in diameter.
Thanks
Dave

· Registered
117 Posts
dvici said:
Hi all, New here so not sure if I am in right area.
What I have is a 2106 Sierra 1500 4x4 Crew 5.3.
Stock wheel size is 275.55.20 I want to know if I change to a different wheel size will it effect truck or trans shifting points? Have a almost new set of tires from old truck and want to run just for the winter, will I have problems?
Other set is 265.60.17's. These are about 2" smaller in diameter.
Thanks
Dave
I would have thought that by 2106 trucks would no longer have wheels.................

Sorry, had to do it, Watched Star Wars last night and nothing had wheels................

· Registered
1,024 Posts
With the change to a smaller wheel circumference, like previously stated, your odometer and speedometer will show more than actual.
So your odometer will be higher than actual driven distances.

i either wouldnt run the smaller set long or get a tuner to adjust for the smaller size which will fix it all

· Registered
1,787 Posts
While mathematically it would seem like there would be a noticeable impact on the MPH and ODO, I have rarely noticed that in of the dozen or so vehicles I've increased tire diameter on (without ring & pinion change to match). If you were going from a 30" tire to a 60" tire- yeah, you'd notice- but the difference in radius you're describing is so relatively small, you won't really notice it on the dashboard.

What you will notice is the feel of more torque (a good thing!). Most people have the reverse problem- they get huge tires and suddenly they are lugging through every gear (a bad thing).

· Registered
3,323 Posts
I have 265-70-17's for my winter tires and they would be closer to your 20's than 265-60's. Best thing for winter tires is keep them as skinny as possible. Mastercraft MSR are what i run on two vehicles and highly recommend them for their price and performance.

One difference that i did notice though when i ran 245-70-17's on my truck which is factory 265-70-17's was the odometer seemed to go up alot faster in the winter than the summer with the same typical drive.

After i wore those tires out though i switched to 265's and no longer had odometer or speedometer problems but the traction is noticeably less. Significantly better than the crappy 2016 take offs i run in the summer which can't handle wet grass, but the 2cm/ wheel makes it slip in extreme conditions more.

· Registered
6,883 Posts
CT2500HD said:
While mathematically it would seem like there would be a noticeable impact on the MPH and ODO, I have rarely noticed that in of the dozen or so vehicles I've increased tire diameter on (without ring & pinion change to match). If you were going from a 30" tire to a 60" tire- yeah, you'd notice- but the difference in radius you're describing is so relatively small, you won't really notice it on the dashboard.

What you will notice is the feel of more torque (a good thing!). Most people have the reverse problem- they get huge tires and suddenly they are lugging through every gear (a bad thing).
Well I experienced the opposite that you have, I put on 275/65R18's on yesterday which are 1/2 inch taller and I am reading 2 mph slower at 75 mph and 1 mph slow at 38 mph according to my Garmin, the truck was dead nuts with the Garmin with the 265/65R18's. Remember if his truck has stabilitrac it may or may not throw codes for wheel speed not matching expected parameters. I would buy winter tires that are closer to the OEM tires if it were me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.