Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting in the Nova hide-a-way strobe lights in the rear Tail lights today. Pulled them out and the paint was flaking and rusty all around the bracket. I was not happy.. so I put the lights away and scraped the flaking paint off then wire wheeled all around inside. I went and got the small right angle grinder with 2" 60 grit sand paper on it. Ground and cleaned everything I could get at. I picked up a gallon of Rust Bullet, prepped the area and painted the entire inside of the taillight enclosure on both sides. Tomorrow I will second coat it.

I got rust bullet because I plan on taking the bed off and cleaning any rust blasting and spraying the bottom of the bed. I will do the same to the rear frame and then paint the frame black.

Winter is coming and I want to keep rust at bay as much as possible.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put the second coat on today. Sanded the lower quarter down behind the rear tire. The area where the tire throws up on the body the paint was worn and started to rust a little so I belt sanded it and put a coat on that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good preventative maintenance. I've been doing the same thing. Mine is pretty good because I oil spray it before winter, but the previous owner did not, so I am chasing a few problem areas.

Check the bottoms of the rocker panels while you're at it.

I recently stripped mine with the wire wheel, etch primered it, primer, paint, clear, then 3 coats of gravel guard.

There were a few spots behind my tail lights. I just took a scotch brite pad to scuff it up and remove the rust, then sprayed it down with Krown rust proofing oil. When I have it sprayed, they will pop the tail lights and spray in there as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mark how do you oil spray? interest in this.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Spodijr said:
Mark how do you oil spray? interest in this.
I take it to a Krown dealer and have it done professionally. Cost is about $120 and I have it done once a year. My appointment is at the end of next week. They drill holes in your rocker panels (and plug them with a flush sitting, plastic plug after). They spray the frame, all underbody components, inside the rockers, inside all body panels, inside all door jambs, inside tail light cavities, literally every place you can get to. The oil is a special penetrating, moisture inhibiting, rust/salt repelling formula that goes on like a heavy film and sticks to whatever you spray it on. When the weather warms up, it drips away and you can wash off the residue.

If you do it from new, you're vehicle will look brand new even when it's 10 years old.

Alternatively, if you don't have a similar dealer locally, you can buy a 5 gallon bucket of Fluid Film and a garden sprayer to accomplish something similar. It's messy though!! The key is go spray INSIDE of the panels because this is where rust will usually start.

At the Krown dealer, you can buy the product in Aerosol form. It's good for doing small areas and touchups. I usually buy a few cans and soak down the brake lines, fuel lines, etc on our winter beater (2001 Saturn).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Man that sounds legit thanks Mark i will look into it as i am ready to winterize my truck as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.