Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I've got a bit of rust forming around my wheel arches. Nothing too crazy but I'd like to catch it before it gets any worse.

A couple of products such as POR-15 and Corroseal have come up on Google, wondering if anyone has used one or both of them and could give me some pros/cons?

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,912 Posts
You might slow the rust down just a bit by using those type of products but the only 'cure' will be to cut it out and weld in new metal. It will get worse no matter what you do unless you do either a patch panel or whole new bed sides.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
323 Posts
I am a big fan of Zero- Rust. It has done very well on rust like this. I was a POR fan for years.

I am testing the new Blaster rust proofing now. I do not think they are sold across the Lake yet.

You should pull off the taillights and clean, paint, and rustproof in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm just hoping to slow everything down right now. I don't have the time or budget this fall the properly fix it, hoping to do it next summer along with rocker panels and cab corners - I might pull the box for that. If I can just keep these spots from spiraling out of control for another year I'll be happy for now.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
I used POR-15 on my rockers, and it looked good, and held up a while. But within a couple of years it just rotted through again. So I did it again, more grinding away old paint and rust. I even sprayed the inside with double the internal frame paint coating I used the first time, and now...still rotted through..lol Just a bad design IMO. But something like POR15 or Corroseal would certainly slow it down, until it was fixed correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts