Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I wanna rebuild my steering gearbox, but i cant figure out what to buy. There is a number on my gearbox "26001483" but i cant look it up anywhere. My local parts dealer says that the Edelmann 8523 seal rebuild kit fits my steering, but amazon and edelmann´s homepage says it doesnt. Does anyone know a place to lookup the part number? Or can someone tell me what the difference is between the kits?
My truck is an 96´gmc sierra k1500 350 v8.

· Registered
628 Posts
There are different versions of the Saginaw gearboxes and identifying them is tricky. I usually just go on Rockauto.com and look it up by vehicle. They list it as Edelmann 8780.
The 8523 is the previous style that was used up until the early/mid 90's. If that is right or not I can't say. Make sure you watch some videos ahead of time. I've rebuilt one and it's not difficult but there are some tricks that make the process go a lot smoother.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your fast reply. I can see that my box is an a1 cardone 277566. Tried google´ing "steering rebuild kit for a1 cardone 277566" with no results:) IT is very difficult to spot the difference between the steering gearboxes. It looks to me like they have used the same box since 1973 or so...

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally figured it out and bought the right part. It was edelmann 8625.. I think the dealer is screwing with me.. He charged 80$ (converted from dkk) for this kit. I replaced all the gaskets and adjusted the steering 100%, and its just delicious now! Cant wait to put my truck back together!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.