Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 GMC AT4, 5.3L, 10-speed
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 GMC AT4, 5.3L, 10-speed, 32k miles.

I was on a trip in early May, 5 hours from home. Bad timing for an electrical problem. I've never had a problem before, the truck has been perfect.

I had just driven about 550 miles in the previous 1.5 days. We stop for dinner, come out and start my truck. The Service Power Steering and Service ESC light up the dash like a Christmas tree. Driving with no electric steer is both difficult and dangerous. But I limped it about 2 miles to our hotel and jumped on the forums.

Sadly, GM-Trucks.com has an 11 page thread about this issue in 2019-2020 GM's. So strange, but the solution was to wait 20 minutes and restart the truck. I did that (it was more like a half hour) and sure enough, it worked perfectly again. Strangest damn thing I have ever experienced with a vehicle. Upsetting.

That was at 30k miles (yes, I put 2k on in about 4 weeks). It has not recurred. I don'k know what happened, whether it downloaded its own software patch, "rebooted," or reset in some way, but it self-resolved (at least for now). According to others, some dealerships are saying they've never heard of such a thing, others are saying they've heard it but not seen it. It seems like one of those things that is common enough to be concerned, but not so common that a TSB was issued or a recall exists.

I still don't have a good answer as to what happened, but am throwing this out there in case anyone else experiences it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,005 Posts
I haven't heard of it, as I don't have one of the newer trucks, but I will tell you that the truck does not download its own software patch.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vpasla1 said:
Might be worth taking a picture or video of you dash if it happens again. That way if the dealer tries to downplay it, you at least have something.
Absolutely. I was so unprepared for it the first time that it didn't even cross my mind. But if it happens again, I'll grab video for sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
roorancher said:
I haven't heard of it, as I don't have one of the newer trucks, but I will tell you that the truck does not download its own software patch.
Actually some systems can be updated by WiFi, not sure about PCM or ESC, but it wouldn't be that hard with the way all of the systems are connected, but you have to accept the update when the message comes up on the screen. https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-support ... e-updates#!

There was a recall on the power steering system back in 2015 model year, but they supposedly corrected the issues. You may want to let your dealer service dept. know and start documentation on a complaint. If it doesn't happen again, good. But if it does happen again, you can leave a paper trail.

·
Registered
2020 2500
1 Posts

I was on a trip in early May, 5 hours from home. Bad timing for an electrical problem. I've never had a problem before, the truck has been perfect.

I had just driven about 550 miles in the previous 1.5 days. We stop for dinner, come out and start my truck. The Service Power Steering and Service ESC light up the dash like a Christmas tree. Driving with no electric steer is both difficult and dangerous. But I limped it about 2 miles to our hotel and jumped on the forums.

Sadly, GM-Trucks.com has an 11 page thread about this issue in 2019-2020 GM's. So strange, but the solution was to wait 20 minutes and restart the truck. I did that (it was more like a half hour) and sure enough, it worked perfectly again. Strangest damn thing I have ever experienced with a vehicle. Upsetting.

That was at 30k miles (yes, I put 2k on in about 4 weeks). It has not recurred. I don'k know what happened, whether it downloaded its own software patch, "rebooted," or reset in some way, but it self-resolved (at least for now). According to others, some dealerships are saying they've never heard of such a thing, others are saying they've heard it but not seen it. It seems like one of those things that is common enough to be concerned, but not so common that a TSB was issued or a recall exists.

I still don't have a good answer as to what happened, but am throwing this out there in case anyone else experiences it.

I purchased a 2020 2500 with 3,600 miles on it. I drove it from AZ to MN and back with 0 issues. I pulled into a gas station and filled up, go to start it back up and I get the ESC error along with 0 fuel and brake errors. It wouldn't start up, I popped the hood and tightened the fluid tanks and called for a tow truck. 30 min in it started back up with engine light still on, so I still had it towed to the dealer.
the dealer gets it and sure enough 0 errors and they can't find anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m at 41,500 miles and it has been perfect ever since. So far (knock on wood) it was a one and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 Sierra AT4, 6.2
1 Posts
Ditto! This is verbatim, exactly what happened to me. I have a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4, 6.2L with 40k miles. Had my truck all loaded up and ready to go for a duck hunt at 4:30am only to start my truck with “Service Power Steering” and “Service ESC”! Didn’t really know what it meant until I tried to turn my steering wheel. One word sums up trying to drive under this circumstance…….DANGEROUS! I couldn’t even turn out of my driveway. Had to abort the duck hunt, which really pisses me off after getting up at 3:30am, only to read this forum and I found loud_pipes post. Since it had been about 30 minutes since I had been out of my vehicle I thought, I’ll just go start my truck again and see what it does………low and behold………it works perfectly! I guess I’ll just keep driving it until it does it again since the dealer will say they can’t find anything wrong with it. BTW, I do love my truck, I’ve had some nice ones, but this truck is awesome, even at the expense of a duck hunt.

·
Registered
19 4WD crew cab
1 Posts
Similar issue as reported above. I crank up the truck, get a service power steering and service ESC message and there is no power steering which means no steering to speak of. Looked under the hood for a bit. Started ordering a tow and my passenger found similar reports on the web pages and suggested I try starting it again. Low and behold, everything works normally and no error messages. Truck is a ‘19 4WD crew cab model with about 16,000 miles.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Denali half ton diesel
1 Posts
Same here. 2020 GMC Dinali half ton diesel. Wife called from the grocery store saying the truck won’t steer. I went over, drove the truck home (dangerous), and 30 minutes later everything was back to normal. Scary if this happens on the highway.

·
Registered
2019 Silverado RST double cab 2wd
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Silverado RST double cab 2wd. 19K miles. On 2/26/2022 was leaving a store. Started the truck and had the same steering malfunction. It took a 5 point turn to get out of parking space. Made one more turn and gave up. It should not say drive with care, it should say car îs disabled. It was too dangerous to drive like that. I shut it off and restarted and it worked normally.

It would be catastrophic if this occurred while truck was at speed on a busy roadway or if you were in danger and had to leave right away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Trail Boss I purchased in September of 2021 with 16,500 miles on it. Lucky I was at home when the same thing happened. I talked to the dealer I bought it from and they told me to use My Chevrolet app to call Roadside Assistance. I went online and saw many of you had the same issue. I waited about an hour, and it started and ran fine. Not sure what they would do for me at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had it happen to my 2022 Silverado 1500. Went into a store, came out and started vehicle...got the ESC and power steering warnings, took some effort to get out of the parking lot. Drove straight to Chevy dealer and pitched a fit...since the truck is 1 month old and has 1000 miles showing. It's been 3 days, and it is still in the shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Literally at the dealership RIGHT NOW waiting 20 minutes to see if this is in fact legit. Took pics. If it is legit… I will file a formal complaint/issue. I’m heavy with this dealership so hopefully the voice will be heard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IT WORKED!!! Set a timer for exactly 20 minutes, fired right up no more issues. I have the manager calling me Monday to file a complaint. This needs to be addressed. If it were my daughter or wife I would be much more pissed. At bare minimum they need to train the service centers to advise customers to let it sit first before waisting time and money. 43k miles… bought brand new Jan 21…. Love this truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
IT WORKED!!! Set a timer for exactly 20 minutes, fired right up no more issues. I have the manager calling me Monday to file a complaint. This needs to be addressed. If it were my daughter or wife I would be much more pissed. At bare minimum they need to train the service centers to advise customers to let it sit first before waisting time and money. 43k miles… bought brand new Jan 21…. Love this truck!
Another pic of an immediate email from Onstar Diagnostics… for proof and documentation
Font Number Circle Screenshot Document

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Motor vehicle

I have the same problem with my 2021 GMC Sierra. The truck has 9,797 miles. I will wait 20 mins to see what happens.

I also received the below text when the truck first started:

Diagnostic Alert: Service the Antilock Braking System in your 2021 Sierra within 7 days. Txt STOP to cancel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts