Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2002 2500HD 6.0 CCLB 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 2500HD 6.0L with the 4L80E - 180k miles - I tow 5-8klbs regularly.

Should I replace the torque converter while I have the transmission out? If so with what?

I have a cracked flexplate to replace (ATP Z270). I plan to also replace:
Rear main seal (Dorman 635518)
Cam position sensor (SMP PC273) (I think it's leaking oil)
Oil pressure sensor (ACDELCO D1818A)

I tow regularly with this truck. I have an additional tranny cooler since it gets a bit warm towing up into the Colorado mountains. (Derale 13504 and 15719 thermostat)

Any advice or past experiences would be welcome. If these torque converters are reliable I would rather leave it, but if they are known to fail I would rather replace it.

Thanks!

· Registered
4,252 Posts
My experience with them over two trucks has been different, granted I do use them as work trucks. The thing that has eaten three of my last transmissions has been torque converter clutches, but hardened dried up o rings seem to cause operational problems to start with. So, I guess, I would replace the TC at the very least. I guess the rest depends on if you have a lift (the last one I swapped was the first one I did not laying on the ground, and the lift plus the high lift transmission jack made the job pretty reasonable), and your tolerance for being down (a days unexpected down time cost is a grand for me)

· Registered
2002 2500HD 6.0 CCLB 4WD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next house will have space for a lift, this one does not. And actually not even a big enough garage to close the door with it in the garage, but my buddys house does.

This is not my daily so a few days or even a week of downtime is acceptable.

I did just order the flexplate and sensors.

I'll look into torque converters, any advice on a specific ones?

· Registered
1,173 Posts
No way I'd pull a tranny and not have it refurbished. I would have it built stronger with heavy duty clutches, especially the overrun band for downhill 2nd gear scenarios. 4l80's are strong, I'm not denying that. I am saying they can be built to handle 1000 hp, just as a 4l60e can. I would also add 60's are not junk. At one time they had many design flaws, but racers still use them with corrections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.