Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chevrolet Silverado 5.7L 350 3 door extended cab
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised to do so when I got the truck. But I also read that you needn’t do that on fuel injection cars and trucks. What would y’all recommend I do?

·
Administrator
7,786 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing. I've had A/C cars since the 70's and have never done that. I would ignore that advice.

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
I set my AC on max so I can remote start and have it be cool when I get out out to the truck...same with my wife's honda..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Some service facilities used to recommend turning the AC off before starting the engine back in the day - like pre-1990 in order to minimize engine drag. Also, so many cars were way out of tune that they needed all the help they could get in order to start (and keep running).

It is not necessary to do so today because the ECM & BCM will not send an on command to the AC compressor clutch until after the engine has started.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I always try to turn off all accessories before cranking over an engine. No reason to load up the battery, it's a good practice. Plus, I don't think I've turned on the AC yet this year, I usually run with the radio off and windows cracked open. I just did 4 hours of driving yesterday to the beach for the boat races and then back home, no AC needed with the windows open and fan turned on.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Some service facilities used to recommend turning the AC off before starting the engine back in the day - like pre-1990 in order to minimize engine drag. Also, so many cars were way out of tune that they needed all the help they could get in order to start (and keep running).

It is not necessary to do so today because the ECM & BCM will not send an on command to the AC compressor clutch until after the engine has started.
Right on!

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
163 Posts
set my AC on max so I can remote start and have it be cool
Remote start does not seem to engage climate control all of the time. I've wondered why sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

An '08 Subaru used to make gear-on-gear noises when starting with AC on, so I got in the habit of leaving CC off when parking the vehicles. Radio is off because it is never on. And especially making sure wipers were off.

Don't'cha hate wipers running across a dry windshield when starting up :eek:

Reactions: Ncmccalister

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Remote start does not seem to engage climate control all of the time. I've wondered why sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

An '08 Subaru used to make gear-on-gear noises when starting with AC on, so I got in the habit of leaving CC off when parking the vehicles. Radio is off because it is never on. And especially making sure wipers were off.

On my old truck, I have no climate control like modern trucks. Just two sliders...one for each side, but the concept of zoned air inside a car is a bit dumb...I guess good if you want a specific air blown on you, which would cause others who want the opposite to the opposite, start an air war...lol

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
3,315 Posts
Zoned air is goofy but it is nice if your passenger can remember to use it. When I get in the truck I want it ice cold basically the entire time, it is way too hot for it to not be. My girlfriend however does not want it cold at all lol

·
Administrator
7,786 Posts
My wife is the same. I like it really cold, blowing right on me. She HATES the air blowing directly on her and wants it warmer. I have the window open on my side of the bedroom even if it's in the 30's at night and sleep with a light blanket on me. She has the mattress warmer on and a blanket and the comforter on her side of the bed. LOL

·
Registered
488 Posts
I always thought it was goofy til I had one.
Zoned is nice when more than one in the truck and the sun is coming from one side of the vehicle.

Person sitting in the sun probably wants a different temp setting....

When we're riding together the system is usually on 'auto' and on 'sync' -- unless it's a sun on one side situation AND we're on a relatively long trip.

Short trips, or roads that change direction regularly so each gets time in the sun, then we likely leave it on 'sync'.

·
Registered
6 Posts

A remote start unit is supposed to be connected to the AC MAX wire- if the connections were made using Scotch Loks, it's possible that it's not making a good connection.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
3,315 Posts
I turn the AC off before I shut the truck off just so it doesn't blow when I turn the key to on to let my wideband sensor warm up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It has been recommended for years (since the 1950s that I'm aware of) to turn off all accessories when you shut the engine off so you will not have accessories on when starting the engine. The whole idea was to reduce drag on the starter so it would spin faster and start the car quicker, putting less load on the battery. Do I do it? No, in today's cars I doubt it makes any difference. The ECM does not engage the AC compressor while the ignition switch is in the START position and engines start so fast it's cranking for merely a few seconds. But old school guys still recommend it and some actually do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always try to turn off all accessories before cranking over an engine. No reason to load up the battery, it's a good practice. Plus, I don't think I've turned on the AC yet this year, I usually run with the radio off and windows cracked open. I just did 4 hours of driving yesterday to the beach for the boat races and then back home, no AC needed with the windows open and fan turned on.
When your engine is cranking, loads such as the a/c are not getting power. They will not get power until the key is returned to the on position. So you are not loading up the battery while cranking. No reason to turn the a/c off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts