Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Been a while, So I've been thinking and need some opinions. So over the summer I bought a 08 Sierra Denali and I LOVE it. Dream truck. It's got everything. But there's always been that voice in the back of my head saying I shoulda got a camaro instead. Now, FYI i am in my early twenty's and the only thing that made me pick the truck over the camaro was well insurance. Ive never had a ticket and never been pulled over or anything, my records clean. Before I bought my Denali I had a 4 door GMC Canyon and the denali was like 200 bucks cheaper on insurance. Which was awesome. But Im not sure how high insurance for a camaro would be at my age. If I got one it would be a 2010-11 SS. Id go for the v6 but I'd really like the V8. Anyway, the other thing snow... My Denali is AWD so no problem there, where I live in KY we dont get tons of snow but sometimes it can get a little deep and slippery. Not sure a camaro would do good in that. So basically snow and insurance haha. And maybe the room factor as well. And of course a truck is more of a practical every day driver than a sports car. But what do you guys think? Think I am better off keeping my truck for a good while? I love it but man, my dad has '12 ss and I love driving it and I want one myself haha. But also I dont wanna part with my truck. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Two years ago I watched a Camaro sitting on a slight grade trying to move, even with the TC it was a no go for him and this was with 2-3 inches of snow on the ramp, not what we would call deep at all. Keep the truck or plan on owning a beater to drive in the winter. That is what we did as kids when we had new LS5 454 Chevelles 396 Camaros and 429 Mach Ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Insurance will likely be outrageous on a Camaro, even if it's a V6.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i went through a very simular delima.. we had a sierra and i told the wife i would really like a CTS-V and she said well go get it. So i did and from the moment i got the car i missed my truck. we owned the CTS-V for 2 months before i took it down and got another sierra.

keep the truck

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Stick with the truck and get a project car for cheap. I'm 24 and in the process of selecting one (or a project truck/HD) due to costs. The enjoyment of a cheaper vehicle that you have direct effort invested in is substantially higher/$ than a new sports car. Every time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife would go bananas if I made a move like that (telling her I wanted to ditch the 2 month old toy for what I used to have) :lol:

There are definitely times I miss my MT cars but practically speaking the truck is a much better bet than a Camaro.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Indeed it sounds like you do have a good wife.

EDIT: Man I feel like an idiot. I just reread the original post and the OP is well aware that insurance could be killer so no need to harp on that. My suggestion is still to keep the truck. In your early 20's you're driving a truck that many established men can't afford. If you want to have a more fun with it, and you've got some coin, start tweaking it to your liking. Maybe get a tune, open up the intake and exhaust, whatever. You've got all kinds of options to make that truck more fun.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Keep the truck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow thanks for all the responses guys! I really appreciate it! I see that about every one of you guys vote for the truck! Haha, the more I think about it, I think thats the best choice. I love my truck! And its a fun truck to drive, 6.2L 400 horses and stylish. whats not to love about it! I do plan on doing a intake and exhaust soon. So that will be fun. I just love the camaros! But I guess until I can afford to have both ill just drive my dads here and there! haha Best of both worlds without any sacrifices!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
We owned an '11 Camaro SS Convertible for about a year and a half. I can tell you it was one of the most fun cars we have ever owned. And we both miss it almost daily.
But.... that being said, visibility out of it is HORRIBLE. Ask any Camaro owner (if they say it isn't an issue, they're lying).
Tons of mods to do (like our trucks), you get compliments on it everywhere you go.
The back seat is non-existent. The doors are long and heavy.
It was a fun toy but not as a DD.
Just my .02

·
Registered
53 Posts
Keep the truck. I have a 02 Camaro and I wouldn't want to have it as my only car during winter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.