Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I have bought this truck and started reading up on this site and others, there looks to be about $3,000+ (this will probably go up...) of mods that I would love to do. A lot of people wouldn't have guessed that reading could be so expensive :D haha.

Sadly all the fun (re: expensive) mods will have to wait till I get some better employment, but I can document the few things I have done so far and dream about the rest. I will be doing most/all of the work myself or with help of family.

Wishlist:
Audio overhaul: New speakers front/back, amp(s), double DIN conversion with Kenwood multimedia head unit, sound deadening
Electrical: New HO Alternator, Big 3, rear backup camera, maybe a front security cam, adding steering wheel audio controls, maybe 2nd battery, extra backup lights + switches
Performance: E-fans, custom tune, Long tubes + full exhaust, Airaid MIT, and beyond?
Extras: Wheels, tow mirrors

To Do:
Complete maintenance: New fluids, clear all trouble codes/issues, new fuel pump, shocks (estimating all this around $700+/-)
Just bought the truck (Sep. 2015) with 115k~ on it and it is due for some maintenance upkeep and a fresh start so I know what all has been done. This is next on the list before any upgrades, going to be a while before I get through it, hopefully by end of summer anyway.

Here She Be:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Floor mats
Nothing too special here...
Husky looked tough, and had a lot of space for collection plus good price. Fitment is decent, I like them.
Rugged Ridge for the rear had looked to have the best capacity to hold stuff and cover most of the floor. Fits alright

I did the 4 Hi / 4 High / All on / All lights on mod tags: silverado, sierra, tahoe, yukon, 2000, 2001, 2002, 00, 01, 02, NBS, New Body Style
I used this guide, which was very good.

Here is the driver's side light removed, high beam plug on left, low on right

Some tools I used and hardware. Also used some electrical tape, power drill and some sandpaper not shown.

Self tapping screw, electrical washer (terminology?), and the bit of wire to splice in

Ground spot sanded clean of paint

Ground attached here

Taped up the wires a bit, and then tucked them away.

Love it so far, lights up much better. :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to post up maintenance as well, probably boring but will be a nice way to keep track of everything done for future reference.

March 10th~

Cleaned the throttle body, no telling when it was last cleaned. Discovered the truck has one of those amazing +4mpg +20hp/tq throttle body spacers* (see disclaimer below)

Seems to run a bit better now :D Used nearly a whole can of the cleaner on it.

Before

After

*complete lies

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the Airaid Modular Intake Tube (part# 200-912) over the weekend. At least it looks way cleaner than elephant nose factory one :D

Factory under hood (+ extra Dirt)

Factory intake tube uninstalled

Airaid Box

Instructions were good + stickers

Here it be with clamps and rubber fittings installed, ready to plug in.

Installed

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
April 2016
Installed a pocket in place of the cassette player. Was about $10 shipped from ebay, surprisingly made in USA.

Added a Bass Bobble head that I have had for a long time, never wanted to add it to my previous vehicles since they were all interim :lol:

Also replaced cabin air filters. They weren't OEM at least but they were clogged pretty well with dirt and other junk. No pics for that.

May 6, 2016 - Cleaned Engine today
Before

After

Tomorrow or soon will be new intake gaskets and possibly knock sensors/harness if they are totaled out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The pocket looks great and I hope you like it as much as I do mine. I had some left over foam type tool box drawer liner so cut out a piece for the top, it does a nice job of keeping sunglasses from flying around. Just used a double side tape to stick the liner down.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was actually thinking about how it needed a bit of rubber mat or something in the bottom to keep stuff from slipping about. If I ever find something appropriate I may toss it in there.

I've got some more pics to add for my intake gasket replacement, maybe today or tomorrow. Nothing to amazing (well increased MPG is), but catching up on maintenance on this at least.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Intake Gasket Replacement 5-7-2016

Determined that intake gaskets were likely shot with my 2 bank lean codes, so I replaced them along with PCV valve and made the water dams for knock sensors. I don't think this motor was ever cleaned (before me), beneath the intake wasn't really that bad looking considering, and both the knock sensor hole were fairly clean. The back one was full of water because I just washed the engine a few days before, but once I sucked the water out and pulled the sensor it looked perfectly fine. I opted not to replace them since it doesn't look like they were subjected to water and the harness looked fine. We'll see if that was a poor decision later on... lol

Good news is that it no longer has the stumble when I first start it up, feels like it runs a bit stronger and better MPG :eek: ! (TBD how much exactly)

Not bad looking considering 111k+ miles and the amount of grime I cleaned off the outside of the heads

The ports looked horrible though, and some reason a bunch of oil dumped from the intake after I removed it... Catch can may be needed here.

Old gaskets, I think these are OEM. The gasket was compressed completely flat with the plastic shells around them, definitely bad.

Little bit of grease here :D

Eww

Tools, New throttle body gasket, pcv valve, misc

Scrubbed my intake, at least the outside is really clean now

Clean enough to eat off of!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Changed plugs and coolant 7/16/2016 - 7/17/2016
Did a coolant flush, quite a lot of water/coolant left over to dispose of...
Ended up flushing it clear with hose then put a few gallons of distilled water through it and flushed out that, topped off with Dexcool/distilled. It wasn't super dirty after all but still used some Flush anyway.

Do these look bad? :roll:

Check out the gap lol

New AC Delco Iridium plug vs Original (suspected) AC Delco plug with about 115k miles

BTW after plug change, truck runs like a beast now. Same (or better) power comes in 200-300 RPM faster now = less pedal goes faster :D

Got my Opt7 C2 22" LED Light bar from Amazon 7/19/2016
Cost $58.49
Install pics to come. Discussion thread/unboxing/first impressions here > OPT7 C2 Series: 22" LED Light Bar Unbox/Impressions

Teaser

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ah yes the lovely 6.0 broken exhaust manifold bolts. Have fun with that :lol: I haven't fixed mine yet. Not a job that looks fun :p

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time to catch up on some updates/fixes.

Fixed Passenger side, broken exhaust manifold bolt 10/12/2016

This was a major pain, ended up taking 3 days in driveway.

Everything started out OK until I used a fancy locking tool to clamp on the stud and sheared it right off.
Broke down below the face of the head, and that's where it went downhill.

So I spent about 4hrs welding onto that broken stud inside, various ways, with, w/o washers, and nuts but couldn't get the welds to stick.

Dad had to rescue me, spent the next day drilling out the bolt larger and larger, slow work to get an EZ out in it. Luckily that worked out great, didn't even mess up the threads in the head.

I put it back together the next day with the GM studs and some locking nuts. Hopefully they will come out easy for a future long tube upgrade.

I haven't even bothered with the driver's side, it has 2 broken. Sounds like a spring/summer job lol :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mounting Auxiliary Switches into Overhead Roof Console

May as well update on this, WIP mod. I am using https://otrattw.net for the switches and hardware

My first order from them included:
SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
12015869 Packard 630 Series Terminal 18 to 20 gauge x10 = $1.80
12015870 Packard 630 Series Terminal 14 to 16 gauge x28 = $5.04
VM6-01 Six Position V-Series Switch Holder = $9.50
VHP-CAR V-Series Panel Plug x3 = $4.05
12084224 Packard 630 Series Terminal 12 gauge x8 = $2.32
VRT-CAR Actuator Tool = $2.65
VCH-01 Eight Terminal Rear Connector Housing Black x6 = $4.20

I will get some fancy LED switches for the panel as I get the money to add new mods.

The V-series switch holder is nearly a perfect fit for my console.

So my first thought was to build a small backing plate out of Kydex to fill in the edges. I hadn't worked with Kydex before so I bought a couple sheets from ebay for around $10

Spent about 20-30hrs to get the piece molded into its final form. Lots of trial and error working with the Kydex. It's cool stuff and I got a perfect matching color.
Here is what the final piece ended up as, and how it would have fit.

Finally after so many attempts to remold it and not being quite the right size one of the legs broke. I basically have determined that the angles are just to extreme and this thing is way to complicated lol. So at the moment the project is in limbo but I believe I will get some black silicone and glue in the plate from the sides since it is a really tiny gap there. If that turns out then maybe I will layer the top and bottom and glue it in completely. I was trying to create a removable piece in case I wanted to go back to factory but for the amount of time to get a Kydex piece to fit and look good it won't be worth it. It was a good learning experiment and fun to play with Kydex though.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
This is the route I'm going for switches in the small overhead console.

Mines on hold as well, to cold and rainy and windy and rainy and cold to do my soldering under the hood to wire it up to my AUX fuse box.

What about making a flat cover panel and siliconing it in from the back side. It would be easy enough to cut it lose and scrape off the caulking to return to EO.
I don't like the idea of cutting my truck up either, although that tends to make these kinds of mods a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jasen said:
This is the route I'm going for switches in the small overhead console.

Mines on hold as well, to cold and rainy and windy and rainy and cold to do my soldering under the hood to wire it up to my AUX fuse box.

What about making a flat cover panel and siliconing it in from the back side. It would be easy enough to cut it lose and scrape off the caulking to return to EO.
I don't like the idea of cutting my truck up either, although that tends to make these kinds of mods a bit more complicated.
The piece I made was sort of a cover panel with extra flanges for attachment. Unfortunately this switch plate is so exact fitting that the corners go almost all the way into the corners of the console opening so it wouldn't be much of a plate as it would be 4 separate pieces. That's why my original piece broke, the corners ended up being like 1/16" of material and finally after reheating and stretching to much one of them broke out. For your smaller switch a panel would definitely be the way to go.

If it was possible to still find the factory blanking plates for cheap I would have just cut up one of those.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts