Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put together a starter battery spreadsheet for 1500 series trucks.

The most common stock size for half tons (and others as well) is a Group 48, though you need to confirm exactly which battery you have so a replacement will fit.

Some newer models can fit a Group 94R/H7 and older trucks can be modded to fit them since they are longer than a 48.

For now the list only includes AGM's but I'll be adding SLA's as well.
Obviously prices will vary and many stores have new promos, rebates, points, rewards, etc.
Please see note about Amazon batteries.

Please comment below and I'll make additions and updates to the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a little something on AC Delco batteries since we basically all have them and the replacements are the same as OEM.

I'm on my 3rd and have noticed they date their stickers 3 months in advance of when they're "made." Which means if you buy a new truck or a replacement, you'll most likely get a brand new battery from the future. Actually, since like 95% of all lead acid batteries are recycled, you'll get an old, used battery which was brought back to life from the future. :mrgreen:

This battery was installed by a GMC dealer in September, 2015
Professional Group 48 770 CCA SN 21475 with "125" date code.
Manufactured December, 2015 at factory R

Purchased from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) November 26, 2020
AC Delco OEM sticker on box shipped from General Motors, Kansas City to Amazon on December 18, 2020
Received January 5, 2021
AGM Group 94R 760 CCA SN 07320 with "031" date code
Manufactured March, 2021 at factory R

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
Even then it may be even older than 3 months as you know the date it was shipped or installed but you still don't know the real date the battery was made since the date code is obviously not correct.

I don't use google docs so I can't see the document but I just recently put a Die Hard Gold Group Size H7, 800 CCA 1000 CA 140 reserve battery in my truck. Non AGM as I don't need to pay extra for that.

Edit: Signed into google docs anyways and still can't see the document, you have to request permission.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SierraHarley said:
Even then it may be even older than 3 months as you know the date it was shipped or installed but you still don't know the real date the battery was made since the date code is obviously not correct.

I don't use google docs so I can't see the document but I just recently put a Die Hard Gold Group Size H7, 800 CCA 1000 CA 140 reserve battery in my truck. Non AGM as I don't need to pay extra for that.

Edit: Signed into google docs anyways and still can't see the document, you have to request permission.
I highly doubt it. Seems to me they run a very tight just in time inventory, so as soon as they're finished they're loaded on a truck heading out to whomever. This obviously includes JCI or whoever was contracted to make the latest batch.

Advance Auto bought the Diehard brand in 2019. When it was a Sears exclusive, I used to buy the Platinum AGM's since I had a car stereo and power fetish. They're tried and true batteries.

The last time I was in one of their stores, the Autocraft AGM's had JCI Germany stickers on them. I'd imagine if the specs and cases are exactly the same, all they did was switch stickers. That would explain some the factory to consumer lag time.

Yes, it's locked now so you have to make the request and then I'll get an email.

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,075 Posts
I always try to replace a battery with at least a higher CCA value than the original. My owners manual tells what minimum CCA value is required. Just buy what ever battery makes you happy with at least the recommended CCA value.
My choice has been Optima batteries.
I get a good price from a friend that sells them so I will keep using them. Currently running a red top 1000 CCA in the truck and I am happy with that!
Had a yellow top 750 CCA battery that has always load tested out at over 800 CCA, I only replaced it recently at 6 years of life cause I had a long trip coming up and felt that this yellow top could be handed down to my boat as Its starting battery safely, It still load tests out at 800 CCA with less than 2.8 internal resistance!
But again,, Thats my preference..Yours may vary!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main point of the database is to get the best value possible and ignore the stickers, anecdotes, unqualified reviews, spam reviews, etc.

There's a lot of brand loyalty, I understand that. But there are only so many battery factories. Case in point:

Optima is made by Johnson Controls/Clarios.

If the planet decides to freeze and everywhere on earth is 0* F, then all CCA ratings will apply equally. Until then, it can be argued that RC (reserve capacity) is a better spec to look at because alternators also only last so long and everyone leaves their lights on from time to time.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
'15 Silverado LTZ Custom Sport Plus
82 Posts
I saw that price drop last night and immediately purchased. I'm curious to see the manufacture date when it arrives but it's a great deal regardless.

·
Registered
2002 Silverado
227 Posts
I couldn't access the links in the beginning on the thread - but my 2002 Silverado 5.3L needs a battery. Currently it has one that was about 6 years old when my neighbor gave it to me after he retired it from his 3500 6.0L box truck. Used it for about a year - I think the cca rating is around 800, which may be higher than necessary. I wish I made note of what I took about a year and a half ago, that has been brought to the transfer station. Nowhere in the manual does it have any standard or recommended ratings - so I wonder what cca should I buy?

This truck isn't a daily driver, just occasional use but I plan to use it for a few days while my other vehicle gets repaired.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just a little something on AC Delco batteries since we basically all have them and the replacements are the same as OEM.

I'm on my 3rd and have noticed they date their stickers 3 months in advance of when they're "made." Which means if you buy a new truck or a replacement, you'll most likely get a brand new battery from the future. Actually, since like 95% of all lead acid batteries are recycled, you'll get an old, used battery which was brought back to life from the future. :mrgreen:

This battery was installed by a GMC dealer in September, 2015
Professional Group 48 770 CCA SN 21475 with "125" date code.
Manufactured December, 2015 at factory R

Purchased from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) November 26, 2020
AC Delco OEM sticker on box shipped from General Motors, Kansas City to Amazon on December 18, 2020
Received January 5, 2021
AGM Group 94R 760 CCA SN 07320 with "031" date code
Manufactured March, 2021 at factory R

I used to pick up cars at the Port of Brunswick that had build dates for the month after I picked them up! Mitsubishis and Nissans if memory serves.

Not a big deal either way, especially with batteries, GM ones are warranted from the sale date, not the build date.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to pick up cars at the Port of Brunswick that had build dates for the month after I picked them up! Mitsubishis and Nissans if memory serves.

Not a big deal either way, especially with batteries, GM ones are warranted from the sale date, not the build date.
Interesting...and that's a valid point.

The timeline on my last Delco was 3 weeks from order to Amazon and then about 3 weeks later to me. So they get them out "fresh".

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't access the links in the beginning on the thread
You have to ask to have it shared with you and I'll reply with the link.

It's almost all AGM's...which you don't need. I'm not sure on the battery try size on the GMT800's but it's probably a 48. If not, there are still a few options that are in the 650-750 CCA range that will work just fine. I'd say just go to Wally World with your old core and be done with it.

·
Registered
2002 Silverado
227 Posts
There's another local chain auto store, I'll just bring the old one there and I'd think they could look up what I need. The core I'd be returning is more than I need. Like you said, I should be fine with the CCA range you specified, I'll go toward the higher end.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm not sure on the battery try size on the GMT800's but it's probably a 48.
GMT800s run a Group 78 battery. The 900s run a Group 48 battery.

GM does not recommend AGM batteries in these two generations as the charging system isn't designed to charge them properly. They work fine, just don't last as long. They like to be charged faster if memory serves.

48PS/88865244
48PG/88865245
48HPG/88865275

As an FYI, that first one lasted 48 months and am using the 48HPG now, the higher reserve capacity is more useful than additional cranking amps.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I did a little research and decided to put an Odyssey battery in my truck 2 months ago. The OEM battery was weakened by a dash cam that ran 24/7/365. Two winters left the battery permanently weakened. I had a switch installed so that I could turn the dash cam off when I parked for the day, but it was too late for the OEM battery. I am very pleased with the Odyssey battery thus far.

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
'15 Silverado LTZ Custom Sport Plus
82 Posts
I saw that price drop last night and immediately purchased. I'm curious to see the manufacture date when it arrives but it's a great deal regardless.
If anybody was curious, my battery is dated May ‘22. Not bad at all. Still available at $134, surprised they aren’t selling faster.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
Well I know why they aren't selling much now. It's because if you click on the link now it is $240.50

I wonder if it was a mistake and they finally figured it out and corrected it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts