Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
6,508 Posts
Amazing work!!

Might as well to a full AFM delete while you've got it torn down. Just sayin'.

·
Administrator
6,508 Posts
Really? Search this site for 100's a threads about AFM failures.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
GBSierraSLE - not seeing your original comment on that but I tell you I was THIS 👌 damn close to just pulling the heads and deleting it. But I was up into a time crunch by that point. Taking up the garage was getting me into trouble with the significant other, which is why I'm going to save the engine build for the next place we buy - hopefully this summer - which WILL have a shop of some sort. Also, because it would have been apart for the AFM delete...... OBVIOUSLY for consistency sake with the whole "while I've got it down" routine, I'll be adding performance pistons, cam, head work, intake, exhaust, the whole 9 yards so that's why I told myself not to touch the intake/fuels systems. Soon....

EDIT - anyone else notice how you can add a new "reply" despite being on the first page of a mult-page thread? That's why I coudn't see your later comment - it was on page 2. whoops.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Gah lee, I probably wont even do the 74 charger that good
It really wasn't that bad tho. Most of the OEM wax just wiped right off with thinner and then hit it quick with the grinder pad. And I gotta say the GM coating did do a good job of preventing much more than surface rust given the first 12 years were in road salt hell. Your '74 - depending on it's life location(s) - may take a bit more. I admit, it looked like a clean freak on meth had at it.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You said it ^. That looks amazing, like factory fresh. You know once you get that far in, you just KNOW it was all done up to your own standards and no "what ifs" down the road.

Have an estimate on the hours put in to get the front tore down and stuff cleaned up til that point?
Estimate on hours to that point...... No way to know given all the frozen/rusted/stuck issues that drained my time. Without those problems, tearing down can actually be quick and easy with an air wrench - almost too quick because you gotta be very careful to CLEARLY photograph and bag/mark every damn nut, bolt and clip or you quickly end up with......now where did this damn thing come from again?...

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Interesting. Did you have to do multiple coats of the KBS?

Is your engine actually polished that much or did you paint it silver? lol
A quart can did 2 coats of that much frame. That is just wire wheeled aluminum.....or is it alumin-ium as the Brits and Canadians say - not paint. On the cam chain cover and the smooth front of the heads I polished with Mothers and a little 3" polish pad on the drill.

Forgot - polished the valve covers too.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I also wasted time and money trying out a marine aluminum wipe on cleaner which did nothing but make a mess.

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,703 Posts
You did use that Mopar CCC then? How was it? I guess you didn't use it as directed, so results would probably be different.

Going this far, may as well have pulled the engine and cleaned it on an engine stand, you practically cleaned it 360 degrees outside, and then some Inside (and upside down it looks like) too.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Gotta get an engine stand and hoist first tho.

I looked at a bunch of diff cleaners and watched videos of that stuff used as directed. Those first two are aerosols and were handy in certain areas underneath, especially the mopar which foamed and stayed put while it did its thing. The X66P I used thru a chem-safe spray bottle, but was intended to be tipped and fill the upper chamber like a shot glass then poured in each cylinder. When I started it the first time there were all kinds of odd smells emanating that eventually blew out.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Let's assume my dad did indeed change oil regularly, probably not as much in his latter years tho, could there be another cause of all the sludge in the pan or is that 100% too-old oil?

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,703 Posts
Did he use synthetic or conventional? Even conventional oil changed regularly shouldn't do that but I guess there could be some poor oils still available these days.

I bought a can of that Mopar CCC probably 2 years ago and never used it. I had read some very good things about it though.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
2,347 Posts
Gotta get an engine stand and hoist first tho.

I looked at a bunch of diff cleaners and watched videos of that stuff used as directed. Those first two are aerosols and were handy in certain areas underneath, especially the mopar which foamed and stayed put while it did its thing. The X66P I used thru a chem-safe spray bottle, but was intended to be tipped and fill the upper chamber like a shot glass then poured in each cylinder. When I started it the first time there were all kinds of odd smells emanating that eventually blew out.
Harbor freight stand and hoist ftw

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,227 Posts
At that point full AFM delete is necessary and some more power adders cam and what not... haha

I did a lot of looking at those HF engine stands and everything I found said to get the larger 2k capacity one because the 1k capacity one is flimsy.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts