Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two days ago a nearly new looking Masterbuilt 30" Digital Electric smoker showed up on Nextdoor for $100 and I decided to take the plunge and give it a go. I have always wanted to do some smoking and this seemed like a nice entry point to do some experimenting and for a reasonable price. I looked up the smoker online and it seemed like this set up was nearly $350 or so.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Kitchen appliance Grille Automotive exterior Home appliance Automotive lighting

So last night I decided to grab some chicken breasts and have them done by the time my wife got off from her shift at the hospital. Had some help from my daughter as well.

Plant Gas Flowerpot Houseplant Advertising

Smile Photograph Plant Asphalt Public space

Plant Smile Standing Tree Gas

I am looking forward to doing more and learning as I go on this. Interested if others have a similar interest and what sort of set ups you have and maybe even some good recipes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously Rusty...those lights! That is a set up! I have heard a lot of good things about those eggs. An uncle has one and love it.

Jake...I hear you on the charcoal...I am sure it adds some great flavor. I like the more predictable temp and probe set up with this for my first soiree into this realm...down the road...maybe a nice wood fed Treager...

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Dang Neal. Im going to nickname you Neal the deal maker. You have gotten some really sweet deals. Just heard about masterbuilt smokers on radio today. Seems
Like a sweet setup best is set it and forget it. The temp is controlled no more charcoal trying to get to temp. I hear they also make a propane version too. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,614 Posts
No I agree with you Neil, The "set it and forget it" method is great! And that is one heck of a deal you got! I would not turn that down!
Had a friend ask me for a recommendation, said he wanted EASY! I told him Treager or Bradley! He really enjoys his Treager.
I have a large Off Set smoker but its just the wife and I now so the WSM fits our need!
Gotta tell you though, I am always on the hunt for a deal like yours!
Great job and enjoy!! "Smoke On"!!
That Egg and those lights are Awesome!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's a great deal. Some nice set ups on here for sure. I've been wanting to get a Masterbuilt for when I want to do small things and can't baby sit a fire all day. For now I just use this. Bought it at Tractor Supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey, it's a chevy that still gets when it needs too. O'l reliable, best $400 I've spent. Only major thing I had to replace was the original gas tank rusted from sitting in someone's yard for 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Good thing can't gain weight looking at all those good food pictures. Holy smokes Nealinator the Dealinator it is ha ha. A friend of mine Mike Barcia travels for work and car clubs alot and loves bbq. Even created the bar b que channel on fbook where he reviews different restaurants he goes to. He rates them from 1-5 pigs.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
I guess I'll have to add in some pics of my own new toy, just arrived yesterday.

I got a Traeger Pro Series 22 on a package deal with a free cover and front folding shelf. Wow, that thing is HD for sure. Heavy as hell, and definitely nothing cheaped out about it. Very sturdy, and even the front shelf holds 30#! That's a lot for any folding shelf like that. It uses pellets for heat and smoke, and it can get hot enough to use as a grill, but I would probably still use my gas grill for simple grilling, dogs, burgers, etc...

I'm getting rid of an old Weber WSM 18, same as what Jake2250 has. Loved the charcoal smoke and flavor, but it was too difficult to maintain temps and cleaning it up was a real pain in the ass, especially once the cover blew away in storm. Free on my curb if anyone wants it...lol

First use of the Traeger will be this weekend, looking to do some chicken and a couple of smoked burgers...yeah, I said burgers on the regular grill earlier, but smoked burgers are wicked good too on a nice long weekend day...

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
They'll have to be separate... Smoker is on the back deck, and I won't be driving my truck back there..lol

I just picked up the last bag of pellets from Lowes.. Just a blended mix, so I don't expect much...but it will work for now. Soon though, I'll order some Lumberjack pellets, which are 100% hardwood..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I use my bighorn pellet smoker almost weekly. And we always do about 10 lbs of cheese in the winter when its below freezing. Then we wrap and freeze it to last all spring and summer. We use a 6" smoker tube inside the smoker with apple pellets otherwise the temp would get too high.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
I highly recommend this rub. I use it on everything i smoke. Anytime someone comes over for a cookout, they always ask what seasoning or rub i used cause they love it

·
Registered
630 Posts
You have to keep the temp inside the smoker below 90 degrees otherwise the cheese will start to droop and melt. Even around 90 the cheese gets super soft but holds its shape. I use the tube and put it in the back corner opposite of the flu of the smoker so it draws the smoke right across the cheese. The tube produces way less heat than even the smoker could on its lowest setting. You could make a contraption to cold smoke cheese but this way works just fine. Sometime even when its just above freezing ive had to put a tray of ice under the cheese on a cookie sheet to keep the temp down inside. Remember to always let the cheese get to room temp before smoking to keep down the sweating on the surface and dont eat it for atleast a week and a half, because it takes time for the flavor to mellow down. Otherwise its very very bitter. I smoke mild cheddar, mozzarella, colby, and provolone usually.

1 - 20 of 378 Posts