Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
321 - 340 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,866 Posts
Perfect time of the year, I didn't put a lot of chips in so it barely got any smoke flavor but I think that was the way to go.

I also ordered one of those square smoking tubes that I saw in this thread or another and used the pellets when I did a pork loin a while ago. It put so much smoke in that loin that it wasn't any good. I need to fine tune the "smoking time" when using that for sure. Maybe only use it for the first 30min or something.

Reactions: tsuintx

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I used a maze pellet tray in my old Masterbuilt and got it dialed in great. Now that I have the pellet smoker, I sometimes want just a tad more smoke and have been thinking about getting. The pellet smoker does a good job on its own, but sometimes I'd like just that little extra oomph.

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,898 Posts
Man, I'm all over that!!!
I'm definitely going to try it with a Pork Loin......
I bought an Icon Smoker on FB Marketplace in Ennis a few months back, and I'll never go conventional grill again. Smoked Chickens take about 2.5 hours; Brisket about 6.
Toy Gas Machine Metal Kitchen appliance accessory

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nice, Jeff! Electric starter and everything. (y) I have a built-in kamado on my propane grill, but only used it a few times. And just for grilling. Could use it for other stuff, too. Just haven't bothered.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I used a maze pellet tray in my old Masterbuilt and got it dialed in great. Now that I have the pellet smoker, I sometimes want just a tad more smoke and have been thinking about getting. The pellet smoker does a good job on its own, but sometimes I'd like just that little extra oomph.
I've got one of those maze trays as well, and ended up going to the cold Smoke Box that Masterbuilt makes. What I found was with the tray that if your pellets took up even a small amount of moisture oh, and they seem prone to do so, that there was essentially no way to keep that tray of pellets burning for any length of time. They would literally just smolder themselves out 10 to 15 minutes after you got them going.

So great tool if you have nice dry pellets, but otherwise right into The Struggle Bus territory.

That cold smoker add-on was worth every penny of the 65 bucks I paid for it. It's so nice to be able to control your smoke and your heat off two different elements. I get such a consistent smoke delivery that I haven't been able to do in any other method with the Masterbuilt 30 that I have.

They've gone up a few bucks these days, but still definitely worth it as an add-on for any of Masterbuilt small electric smoker!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,613 Posts
Perfect time of the year, I didn't put a lot of chips in so it barely got any smoke flavor but I think that was the way to go.

I also ordered one of those square smoking tubes that I saw in this thread or another and used the pellets when I did a pork loin a while ago. It put so much smoke in that loin that it wasn't any good. I need to fine tune the "smoking time" when using that for sure. Maybe only use it for the first 30min or something.
Last pork loin I smoked I marinated the Loin in
Bottle Liquid Ingredient Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage
Chaka's MMM sauce 24 hours or 48 hours prior to smoking!
Turned out Fantastic! I used Hickory and Oak for a medium smoke flavor.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,866 Posts
I almost got one of those boxes but wanted to try out this first since it was cheap.
used traeger apple pellets in it.

I may have to try that jake.

There is a company not too far from me that people seem to rave about. I need to get some ordered to try

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
Got my reverse seared filets down pat now. 20 minutes at 225⁰ and then seared at 500⁰ until at my desired internal temp.

They stay super tender and great flavor.
:rolleyes:
Interesting but kinda (backwards) from the most prescribed way to do (reverse sear). In the usual method, you put the steaks/chops on at about 225 in the smoker and then you (already have) a temp probe in the steak/chop.

when the temp gets to about 15-20 degrees (below) your desired end temp, you remove from the smoker and put the steaks/chops onto a pre-heated cast iron grill as hot as you can get it. Then it's about 30 second to a full minute on one side and then "flip" and do same on other side. Then "repeat" each side again.

I'm guessing your method must somewhat duplicate this process, but seems taking more (instant probe) checks than what I described.:unsure:

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
625 Posts
After following this thread for a long time I picked up a Pit Boss 3 electric a few months ago. Everything has been great.

But I never get a good crust like you guys get. For the last pork loin, I added some brown sugar to the rub thinking that would do it...noop.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
After following this thread for a long time I picked up a Pit Boss 3 electric a few months ago. Everything has been great.

But I never get a good crust like you guys get. For the last pork loin, I added some brown sugar to the rub thinking that would do it...noop.

What am I missing?
:rolleyes:
Here is a video on how to do it. There are others too.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
625 Posts
Ok looking at this I learned what I called putting on a rub is nothing. He puts it ON!
He spent more on rub than I did on meat...

Thanks, Man

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
Let's get this thread going again.

Got some chicken thighs and some queso dip on the smoker today. First time making the dip so I'll see how it comes out.

Basically just a big block of velveta cubed up, 2 blocks of cream cheese, 2 cans of Rotell, and a pound of hot Italian sausage meat.

I wanted to add some chopped onion, and some peppers, but I'm the only one who'd eat it then so I didn't add that in there.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Eric, I agree!! keep this thread alive! that looks great how did it turn out?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
The queso was delicious. Right amount of heat, but not too crazy. You got a nice hint of smoke flavor as well.

The sausage added a nice element as well. I will say that it really needs to be kept warm until literally it's served. It cools and starts to solidify rather quick. I think smoking it, then putting it in a crock pot would be ideal.

321 - 340 of 378 Posts