Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
341 - 360 of 378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
I made some ribs yesterday and I think I have finally got my process down. Last couple of times I've made them I have experimented with different things.

So far the best method I have found is a version if the 321 method. I season the ribs with pepper, salt, and a some of the dry rubs I have. 3 hours bone side down at 225⁰, then take them off and wrap them in foil with brown sugar and butter on both sides. Back on the smoker for 2 hours meat side down, then I flip them over and poke a couple holes in the foil and leave them on there for about 45 minutes bone side down.

This has been producing super tender ribs with no sauce needed. The combo of the seasoning and the brown sugar caramelize and basically make its own sauce. I prefer a more dry type of rib anyway, so this is perfect for my taste. I use a spicy dry rub, and then the sweetness of the sugar blends well to even out the flavor.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
625 Posts
Some questions for the more experienced.

I have been failing with potatoes. Yesterday I sliced the potatoes 1/2" thick seasoned them and put them right on the lowes rack. They were in for the 90 minutes to get my pork shops to 160 degrees and they were still crunchy. Do I just finish them up on the stove?

Next

A friend brought over some Italian sausage. First time I tried them in the smoker. They were on for the same amount of time and got to 150 degrees. They got very little smoke and the skin was very tough.

Any ideas or tricks would be appreciated.

Smoke on!

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
Not sure on the potatoes. I usually fry them. Either in oil or my air fryer.

As for the sausage, the skin will get firm and sorta tough. At least it always has any time I've made them. Not like chewy tough, but a nice snap to it.

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,898 Posts
I did a 14 pound bone-in Pork Butt yesterday on my ICON grill. (Kinda like a Big Green Egg.) Used chunk charcoal and soaked Mesquite wood chips for almost 7 hours @ 250 degrees. It was outstanding! Followed this guy's instructions. It was my first one.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Time for some ribs after working on the fence stuff all morning. Bought a pack from Costco last weekend and it was about time to throw them in.

Did a 3-1.5-0.75 this time and they sure turned out awesome: fall off the bone but still with a little bit of bite. Foiled them the middle 1.5 hours with butter, rub and Shiner.

It was hot as hell, so of course I had to enjoy some refreshments.

Food Kitchen appliance Home appliance Ingredient Recipe
Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Roasting

Food Recipe Ingredient Rib Dish

Bottle Beer Drinkware Liquid Glass bottle

·
Registered
2011 Silverado LTZ 2WD 5.3
55 Posts
Picked up a Pit Boss this weekend to add to my stable. Got it burned and seasoned and cant wait to use it! Already right at home next to my Weber Kettle, Electric smoker, Blackstone, and Brinkmann grill! 🤪
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Office equipment Typewriter

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I love the blurred image of the post hole digger in the background. Hard work done, now time for beer.... :ROFLMAO:
Gotta tell ya... Buying that is definitely one of the best 60 bucks I've ever spent. Got it brand new from an overstock/liquidation auction 6-7 months ago. Made the job of digging the holes SOOO much easier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Smoking is an awesome past time!!! I am fairly new to it, but use the 3-2-1 method for ribs. I have also done chickens and some fresh steelhead that I catch during the fall/ winter run.
Smile Water Fisherman Plant Outdoor recreation

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Smoking is an awesome past time!!! I am fairly new to it, but use the 3-2-1 method for ribs. I have also done chickens and some fresh steelhead that I catch during the fall/ winter run.
Speaking of 3-2-1 Ribs, that is what I am currently doing now. Baby back ribs with some Brown sugar and mango nectar during the 2nd step. They are looking and smelling amazing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You’ve gotta show some pictures of those!!! That nectar sounds amazing!!
The nectar is just whatever you can find in the grocery store (usually Hispanic isle) or even that Naked Juice will work.

But I posted a picture of them coming off the grill and they were amazing! They barely lasted 20 minutes.

341 - 360 of 378 Posts