Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
It's super simple. It's actually my friend's recipe.

So for a tray the size I make, it's one large block of Velveeta, 2 blocks of cream cheese, 2 cans of rotel, and 1lb of hot Italian sausage.

If you want a deep smoke flavor, you can smoke the ground sausage first before putting it in there. Of you want a more mild smoke flavor, I brown the meat in a pan first then put it in the mix.

I smoke it at 225⁰ uncovered for 2 hours, stiring it after the first hour and then every 10 min after that.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,866 Posts
530am here and getting the smoker going and to temp to start some ribs, my parents are coming up for the day and planning to eat around 12. Couple racks of baby backs. Hoping to get some clean bones, I am one of those that does not care to have a bite to them. Just need a good sauce or rub and to be super tender!
Let them sit in the mustard binder and homemade dry rub mixture over night, letting them sit out a little bit before throwing them on the smoker.

will wait 3 hours to do touch up rub and butter when I foil them

Food Ingredient Recipe Staple food Cuisine

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Made some pork babyback ribs on my Big Green Egg Beavis today. Used Red dirt rich and Cigar city barbacoa rubs. Overall pretty good. Getting better. Last time made ribs was May 2020.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
625 Posts
OK, it is getting to be Turkey Time (TT). It is just myself and three friends so I was thinking about smoking a turkey breast. How big should it be (I know the bigger the better) and any smoker tips?

I am still a smoker newbe...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
OK, it is getting to be Turkey Time (TT). It is just myself and three friends so I was thinking about smoking a turkey breast. How big should it be (I know the bigger the better) and any smoker tips?

I am still a smoker newbe...
Haven’t actually done other than whole turkeys for Thanksgiving a few times. Turkey, just like chicken, is so lean that you gotta be careful to keep it from drying out. I’ve done chicken breasts and usually wrap them in bacon. Other than that, I don’t have much tips. LOL! Cherry or apple would be good choice of wood for the fowl.

Brisket turned out good. Maybe just a tad overcooked since my trusty old thermometer started playing games on my and wasn’t sure of the temp. Could’ve used just a bit more firmness, IMO, but the taste was awesome and everybody seemed to like it a lot.

Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Cuisine

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 1500 5.3 ECSB
515 Posts
Beautiful weather here in eastern PA for Thanksgiving. Going to smoke a beer can turkey breast on my Weber kettle grill. The truck tail gate works great as a table or seat.
Food Automotive lighting Ingredient Automotive tire Road surface
Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2011 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 1500 5.3 ECSB
515 Posts
Mine came out pretty good considering I’ve never smoked a turkey breast before. Was amazingly tender and juicy.
Food Hendl Turkey meat Recipe Ingredient

Reactions: tsuintx

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,898 Posts
Food Ingredient Recipe Cooking Cuisine
Food Ingredient Recipe Cooking Cuisine
Smoked two 12 pounders yesterday for Thanksgiving festivities today at my wife's Aunt and Uncle's farm outside College Station. About 5 hours at 250 degrees, tapering down to about 150, Chicken Shit Dry Rub from the Big Cock Ranch in Leander, and 2 sticks of melted butter poured over each about every 90 minutes. Delicious!

Reactions: tsuintx

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Good looking turkeys, everybody! The only thing I smoked was a salmon to take to my daughter and son-in-law's house. They took care of the rest. SIL does know how to fry a pretty damn good turkey, though. 🤤

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
:rolleyes:
I've had a Camp Chef Woodwind for about 5 years and had fairly good results with it doing pork butts and standing rib roasts. But when I did a whole turkey last year, it was not as moist as others I've fixed differently. So this year, I drug out my turkey fryer that takes about 2 3/4 gallons of peanut oil.
That turkey came out the most moist with the white meat I've ever had. It was delicious.
Now I've had some recent "hiccups" with the Woodwind quitting on me about half way thru a smoke. So I'm gonna find out why it stopped and fix it. Kinda think it may be moister got into the pellets and clogged up the auger. Anyway, I will get it going soon and sell it via Craigslist hopefull.
Meantime, next week I have a new Rec Teq smoker coming it. Hope it does the job for me.:p

361 - 378 of 378 Posts