Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading quite a few threads about people changing to snow tires in the winter. Are they really worth it in a 4x4?

·
Registered
706 Posts
depends where ya live and where you drive.. I personally like having the duratracs but i also do alot of driving where snow is never removed and PA can get alot of snow and ice. So the regular all season tires are not enough for me. But, if you drive main roads mostly.. Good all seasons would be enough for you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats kind of how I feel. I grew up in southern Ohio and now live in Northern Indiana so it's not like constant snow but we do see our fair share. I have not had a problem yet with my "normal" tires. I think sensible driving is better than any tire.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Again.. depends where you drive. Your sensible driving dont mean squat once you get off the main roads and hit a pipe line with steep hills, ruts, mud, ice, snow, and whatever else. I tried it last year with almost new all seasons. Had to get drug out by a d9 dozer.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would have been a bummer!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I lived in Alaska for 4 years and ran Nitto Terra's with out problem. Used 4x4, and added about 800lbs to the bed. That was on a F-250 though. Didn't really need the weight but it did help with the ice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live up in Northern Alberta and we had 6.5 months of snow on the ground last year. Duratracs work for me so I don't deal with winter tires so long as you got something with a somewhat aggressive tread you should be good.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not necessarily an aggressive tread... but if you look at the duratracs, the treads are "perforated" which is what makes them good on snow and ice... I'm just waiting on my a/ts to wear out so I can get duratracs lol.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes. Winter tires are worth every nickel spent if you live in an area that gets winter. And to the people who say their AT tires are OK or "I manage"... well, that's just not good enough...

Here's a hill and a bad video from 2 weeks ago!

·
Registered
818 Posts
OP, I also live in Indiana and I have never bothered with winter tires but if you live around a lot of hills and rarely plowed roads then the extra siping and different rubber compound on ice tires will help out. I used to live in Utah and all cars out there had studded winter tires if they were smart.

You could always have Discount tire sipe your tires, I did this for my daughter's car. They charge $10 per tire to sipe them.

My Falken Wild Peaks I had on my 07 Silverado were amazing in the snow and slick roads, I will be buying those tires again for my 10 Sierra I have now. I will also get them siped for winter next year

Anyway, if you have the money, winter tires are a good investment. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.