Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
02 2500HD 6.0
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kinda wanted to show off my work to be honest. I built this in my school's shop over the course of three days out of schedule 40 steel and some hardware from Fastenal. I then bedlinered it. As you can see, I didn't have enough bedliner to do everything, but I will be picking up more to grind off the rust and spray more. I also have a leveling kit coming in in the next day or two and I'm moving up to 275/70r18s to balance out the look.

Anyway, give me your thoughts!

Attachments

· Registered
02 2500HD 6.0
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I am considering mesh and also the addition of a couple 1/2" studs to mount my hi-lift which is currently on my tool box. I also need to do a couple of tack welds and I'm debating on how I'm going to go about preventing rust on the bolts I'm using.b

· Registered
95 Posts
Looks great!

Some feedback:
*Definitely removed the rest of the rust and coat it (as was mentioned)
*I agree to add mesh or expanded metal to keep smaller items inside the bed
*Look into redesigning the pins/hinge area. Right now it's metal-on-metal between pins and the welded washers; that will work, but it will rub off any coating and will rust. That, or leave it as-is and plan to keep it greased/lubricated!

Good luck!

~Epyon

· Registered
414 Posts
Not liking it the overall design.. but that is just my opinion.

Some thoughts...

I wouldn't have done the washers, I would have used some pipe, definitely looks homemade as far as overuse in materials.

One thing I do like is the spare tire mount, other then that... meh.. but again that is just my opiniin

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Yep, I will give you a thumbs up as well. Nice. Like others, some kind of mesh would be a real upgrade. Maybe a mesh panel that can be removed and put back on easily. And make sure you get the rust squared away so it doesn't turn the whole thing into a messy eye sore. I also like the bed liner coating idea.

· Registered
02 2500HD 6.0
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! To address a couple things:

The hinges will be greased. I'm just waiting till after everything is coated so the crease doesn't prevent any paint/bedliner from sticking.

The spare definitely needs to be cleaned up. I'm hoping I can find a cheap used a/t in a larger size to balance out the look since I'm going to the 275/70r18. I really wish the spare was an 18.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.