Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace my cv shaft and need to know what size socket it is to remove the shaft from the wheel bearing. I'm at work and can barrow the socket if I know what size it is. I believe the one on my zr2 was a 32 mm but not sure about my new truck. It's a 2008 1500 z71 silverado. If anyone knows off the top of there head it would be great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When pulling off my cv axle I noticed a drop of oil under the passenger side differential bearing housing. Does anyone know what it takes to remove the plate that the cv bolts to. I would like to replace that axle seal so I don't lose differential fluid.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is held by an internal snap ring within the diffs' spider gears.

You'll pull the half shaft and drain the axle fluid.

Then get a long drift and a hammer and whack on the back of the flange to pop it out. Once it is loose that short shaft is bolted to the main axle/ unbolt it, and you can dis-assemble and swap the seal on the bench. That will make sure it is seated correctly and be less of a PITA. Put it all back together, but don't push the axle shaft into that tube assy. until its' bolted up and you can line up the splines within the differential.

It probably sounds more complicated than it really is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there supposed to be any play in the shaft? I put everything back in and re filled the diff. There is just little play between the shaft. I can pull it out about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch then it stops. Is that normal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.