Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so lets get a few things straight I know that my 22" wheels and 285/45/22 tires are NOT helping and I am considering going back to a stock 20" wheel and tire size. But my truck also has 84xxx miles on it, so I think based on the ride getting rougher and rougher that the factory shocks and struts are just getting further and further worn out. The only other modification to the ride I have is shackles in the rear to level out the truck.

I have been quoted on a full Rancho system for the truck however I am not sure this will give me the ride I am looking for. I do not tow, I do not haul. I simply drive my truck like a car every day. And the ride I want is SMOOTH. It's difficult for me to determine what to believe in online reviews so I am asking here as there is very likely someone else who has found a solution to this question.

I am willing to replace the full struts and springs, and rear shocks first because while I know the 20" wheels and tires will help I think the suspension being 6+ years old and having 84k miles on it is more the culprit right now.

So I am looking for recommendations for Smooth "car like" riding struts/springs and rear shock recommendations, keep in mind for now I am going to keep my 22" wheels and tires but I am seriously considering going back to 20's if the suspension changes do not do enough to smooth out the ride.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Based upon your previous thread replies...which are all correct...TIRES. The ONLY way you are going to get that smooth ride and keep your 22's with low profile tires....put it on AIR. Its a big investment for air bags but it looks like you are into the stereo stuff too. Don't airbags and SPL's kind of go together, like "pea's and carrots?"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had posted about this before, and as the other topic has pointed out wheels and tires back to 20" with a 55 series tire should help a lot. Which again I am very much considering, however I am still not sure what I should do in regards to the struts and shocks. As new products roll out all the time I was hoping for some recommendations on struts and shocks. I did get a quote from a local shop for a full Rancho setup like this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014BG8VZE/_e ... ZU4A9Y841R for around $1100 installed.

Wheels and tires I can pull the trigger whenever I make up my mind on what I am going to go with, I am trying to decide between the GMC style honeycomb wheel and the Texas edition 20" wheels.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Only other thing you can do is go with an adjustable coilover setup, (e.g. Fox, HaloLifts, etc) to be able to tune your suspension to just the way you like it. Coilovers ride much better than the stock struts, and if you get matching rear shocks your ride will vastly improve.

Not sure on the difference coilovers will make vs a tire with more sidewall, though.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
Ever consider dropping lower than 20's? They may be stock, but that's only because people got this odd and untrue feeling that 20's would ride well and look good, when neither is true. IMO, if you have 20's you should at least have 35's for rubber, and if you have 35's, you probably have a good lift that handles the ride enough to not worry about the 20's and their thin band tires. Otherwise, 20's really don't belong on a truck.

I know one person here does have the Rancho Quicklift setup and he does like it quite a bit, although if you want that soft of a ride, as stated, an Airbag setup is really your only choice, unless you went with a new coilover setup as well that you could adjust to your liking, but they still won't be as soft as riding on air.

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
They are going to charge you over $500 for installation of four shocks?? They already have the springs on them so its a simple off and and install, with basic hand tools you can install them. But the people who have them like them with the adjustability, just with the guys up north had issues with the tuning knobs rusting and breaking.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Okay so the best combination, without going to air, would be the 20's and get some adjustable compression and rebound coil overs. Both Fox and King offer these. I have the FOX DSC coil overs, worth every penny.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
If you were going to an adjustable shock for a coilover setup, I can stand behind Viking shocks. I have them on my truck, dual adjustments and they are awesome. Over 300 ride combinations, every click makes a change also, unlike some where you have to turn the knob a bunch to make a difference. QA1 is also another lesser known choice, but they are also very good.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Any way you cut it....what you are searching for is going to be pricey. Just depends how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20" wheels and tires I can get for around $1300-$1600, I'd like to keep the suspension cost around the same for the front and rear total.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Well you certainly won't get AIR, Fox, or King for that price. Maybe some of the other brands mentioned like OA1, but I have never researched their price point.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
I vote #2. Even though they are shady. Come here, promote a contest for free wheels, get everyone's pictures, gives new wheels to a brand new member, then the new member and Trish from OE wheels disappear forever.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh wow, I wasn't aware of that I may have to re-evaluate where I get the wheels/tires then, there's a place in Thomasville GA http://ezdealin.com that does a lot of business and has some high ratings that I have as an option.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Can not advise on your truck however i do have a 39 street rod that had larger rims and freakin low profile tires when i bought it. Rode like crap, this past winter i went back to 15" rims and tire that actually have sidewalls! Major improvement on the ride and handling!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
I could never justify spending that kind of money for OEM wheels... That's just crazy.

I paid about $200 each for my Viking shocks, QA1 are about the same. Coils cost an additional $100 for the pair. I like having a full range of dual adjustability, versus a set range on a pre-configured product.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OEM Replica's are just as expensive as aftermarket wheels, so it's just a matter of choosing a new wheel and tire combo. Today I had the front struts and rear shocks all replaced, I went with Monroe.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/139105 on the fronts.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/911533 on the rears.

Truck does ride better, and the fronts on my truck were leaking so it was time to replace them. So now it's choosing a wheel and a tire I have read that Hankook Ventus ST RH06 are comfortable tires. 275/55/20 are the size I am going for to again go back to stock size. But if anyone else has a recommendation for a comfortable tire, FL truck so no need to worry about snow capability.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I agree with everyone else that more sidewall will help. I noticed a softer ride going to bigger tires on my 17's.

Another suggestion I have is to throw a couple bags of sand from the hardware store in your bed for a couple days and see if you notice a difference. I always notice the rear bounce is reduced on my way home from Home Depot. Shouldn't cost more than $15 total.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts