Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You have two topics asking the same question and refuse to listen to anyone's answers! You bought a 4 wheel drive TRUCK! It's not designed to ride like a car!Why do you keep asking the same question over and over expecting different results?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lifetime warranty if they fail bought through a national chain so not too overly concerned, now just to find a dealer for the wheels and tires I have picked out, Fuel Beast 20x9s on 275/55/20 tires.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We all just need to remember two things...

1. It is his truck and his money.
2. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

It is quite obvious to me that what is important to this member is stereo equipment. He spends his money there. The truck is just a commuter to haul around his stereo. And so long as the ride is comfortable he is fine with base level car shocks.

Good luck with your decision, but just remember we tried to "make you drink"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes I am not a hauler, not an offroader (truck is 2WD anyway) and I use it to commute and to compete. When I posted this kind of topic the first time I got answers ranging from Billstien 5100, 4600 to Air bags. After doing more research I picked the Monroe's for a couple reasons, available locally through a national chain for warranty purposes, and to get back to a stock ride as much as possible. I am going back down to a 20" wheel and either a 55 or 60 series tire, I know and understand its a truck its not gonna ride like a lexus, but when I'm driving down a normal street and the road is a bit rough and it feels like the rear end is going to bounce into another lane I get uneasy with that.

So thank you all for the input, now I simply need to make up my mind on a set of 20" wheels as I am going back and forth between OE replica's and aftermarkets, along with picking a good tire to accompany them, looking at Hankook and Michelin.

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,805 Posts
Looks like a HBD is in order since there is a little cake thing in your side profile. Not sure I would have chosen the Monroe's...but as long as they are covered under warranty I suppose you are covered...though they usually only warranty the product and so labor may get you if you have any issues. It looks like they are built to OE type specs so probably just get a factory ride. I messed up one time on a tahoe that had these huge self leveling canister looking shocks on the rear and swapped them out with some over the counter monroe reflex which stated to be compatible. That was a bad decision. The suv was all over the place after that. I had to go and swap them out with a true OE aftermarket type which did the trick.

I think anything new replacing shocks with 84k will certainly have helped the wheel hopping you had in the rear (and probably front too).

For a good street tire...the Michelin M/S 2 are a very solid option. Long wear and great traction and temp numbers. Quiet and soft ride too. Some rubber compounds are harder and sidewalls are stiffer and will give you worse ride as far as cushion goes (even though more sport tires will do better for cornering).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh wow, I wasn't aware of that I may have to re-evaluate where I get the wheels/tires then, there's a place in Thomasville GA Ezdealin Wheels and Tires for Chevy, GMC, Ford and Dodge Trucks and SUVs that does a lot of business and has some high ratings that I have as an option.
It’s crazy you mentioned a shop in Thomasville, I live in Adel, GA and ran across this post trying to find a softer suspension for my 2012 Silverado, I’ve rode on 18’s and 275/65’s and 20’s with 33’s and both have been stiffer than I’d like. It’s like riding in a 90’s Z with the torsion bars all the way up lol when you hit a bump the whole truck jumps and clunks instead of a slight hiss and body roll it’s just like there’s no compression. I’m not sure but my initial thoughts were that the first owner replaced the struts before trade in with some cheap Amazon struts or something, but honestly I have no clue I bought it from a dealer used. I’ve been eyeballing some fox coil overs and shocks for a while but haven’t been able to pull the trigger, they’re just soooo pricey in comparison to normal struts there’s really no middle ground between OEM style struts and coil overs

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
One thing I do really like about the coilovers though is that if you take care of them its a one time expense. Well other than the expense to rebuild them ever 75-100k miles. I really think going forward all of my vehicles will have coilovers. Made a good bit of difference to me.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It’s crazy you mentioned a shop in Thomasville, I live in Adel, GA and ran across this post trying to find a softer suspension for my 2012 Silverado, I’ve rode on 18’s and 275/65’s and 20’s with 33’s and both have been stiffer than I’d like. It’s like riding in a 90’s Z with the torsion bars all the way up lol when you hit a bump the whole truck jumps and clunks instead of a slight hiss and body roll it’s just like there’s no compression. I’m not sure but my initial thoughts were that the first owner replaced the struts before trade in with some cheap Amazon struts or something, but honestly I have no clue I bought it from a dealer used. I’ve been eyeballing some fox coil overs and shocks for a while but haven’t been able to pull the trigger, they’re just soooo pricey in comparison to normal struts there’s really no middle ground between OEM style struts and coil overs
OP hasn't been back here since 2018

21 - 29 of 29 Posts