Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month or so back, the valet at the hotel I was staying at wrecked my truck. They are paying to fix it. I picked it up from the body shop and the rear bumper is not aligned properly. I had them redo it, and still didn't align the bumper. Is there anyone that could possibly take a picture of their rear bumper from above with a tape measure showing the gap? I want to make sure that mine is perfect.... Thanks!

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Well, I have these stock photos from some bumper work I had done this past spring. They don't have the tape measure on them but I hope they give you an idea what yours should be looking like. If you really need me to, I could probably get a couple shots with the tape measure tomorrow during the day.

20160612 Rear Bumper End Cap Replacement (17).JPG

20160612 Rear Bumper End Cap Replacement (18).JPG

20160612 Rear Bumper End Cap Replacement (19).JPG

Attachments

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Just FYI, you can "adjust" that gap pretty easily simply by pulling on the bumper end cap. The reason I had done work was that I backed into a trailer tongue and it dented the right end cap and pushed it into the fender. I straightened it out by hand with surprisingly little effort. If you look behind the end caps, you will see just how flimsy the actual mounting frame is behind there. The end caps are strong, but what it is mounted to is not so much. Here is a photo of what is behind the chrome end caps and you can see how my bumper was not only pushed back and in but also down. Very easy to straighten up by hand. The problem is, once the end caps are installed and tightened down, the mount becomes much more sturdy and would a lot tougher to straighten out at that point.

20160612 Rear Bumper End Cap Replacement (6).JPG

Attachments

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's the problem, they've been trying with the end caps installed. Also found out they used some aftermarket hardware for the repair.... I'm getting pretty frustrated, but it's back at their shop. It even looked like it was falling off by slopping back, really annoyed with dealing with it... And thanks for the pics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.