Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drive a 2012 Sierra 2500. Recently my speedo went below 0 at a stop and only showed 40mph when moving. I knew I was going faster. I shut her down and started up again and it was fine. Dear lawd I hope it doesn't go out.

99k miles

Any similar occurrences with you guys?

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I agree, sometimes the computers in these cars go a bit haywire and a reboot is necessary. Especially if you are putting an electrical load on and off the system like through a plow or trailer or something else without shutting it down.

Some cheap maintenance things to do would be to clean your grounds and mega fuse really well under the hood and make sure your battery connections are looking good etc.

Next step is to evaluate how old you battery is and see if since its coming up on winter if its time to R&R or get it tested. The next step would be to just watch the truck and see if other odd things are happening. I had a situation where i could tell the truck just didnt act right, strange things were happening, the battery was struggling to start some days even though it had been driven and was a relatively new battery, etc. I kind of figured it was the voltage regulator on the alternator and took a chance and haven't had any issues since. Another part that routinely goes bad and is a simple fix is the brake light switch. It usually shows up as stabilitrac lights and ABS lights on the dash but other people have had different symptoms.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
djlove said:
I agree, sometimes the computers in these cars go a bit haywire and a reboot is necessary. Especially if you are putting an electrical load on and off the system like through a plow or trailer or something else without shutting it down.

Some cheap maintenance things to do would be to clean your grounds and mega fuse really well under the hood and make sure your battery connections are looking good etc.

Next step is to evaluate how old you battery is and see if since its coming up on winter if its time to R&R or get it tested. The next step would be to just watch the truck and see if other odd things are happening. I had a situation where i could tell the truck just didnt act right, strange things were happening, the battery was struggling to start some days even though it had been driven and was a relatively new battery, etc. I kind of figured it was the voltage regulator on the alternator and took a chance and haven't had any issues since. Another part that routinely goes bad and is a simple fix is the brake light switch. It usually shows up as stabilitrac lights and ABS lights on the dash but other people have had different symptoms.
Did you just change out the voltage regulator or the whole alternator? I'm having a little starting issue and I wonder if this might be the cause?

· Registered
3,390 Posts
I couldn't find the regulator separate so i just ordered a reman from rockauto.

how old is your battery? Do you have any other symptoms? If you go out and it doesnt start but then you go back an hour or day later and it does, i would suspect your starter.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure everything is grounded well. Terminals are tight and clean. It could be as simple one more turn on a nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.