Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just got a 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 that came with a lift kit and 35" tires already on it. After driving it a few weeks, I confirmed the speedo was never calibrated for the tire size, so I'm about 5-8mph faster than gauge reads.

I bought this unit: RC Speedometer Calibrator. Of course all the reading of the product specs and reviews say "It's easy as 1-2-3!", I finally get it and pop open the instructions and get caught off guard.

Is it REALLY necessary to do the highlighted things on these instructions or is that more of a "CYA" for the manufacturer? I have A LOT of these features and did not expect to go looking for some 20 fuses.

Thanks in advance.
Automotive tire Font Red Sleeve Material property

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,687 Posts
Well, it's a one-time thing, and since it's reprogramming some of the computers on the truck, do you really want to risk not following their instructions and possibly bricking or having some computers with corrupted programming, so you have to tow it to the dealer and have them reprogram everything back to stock?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Turning those other electronic items off in your vehicle "quiets the data bus" and prevents data packet collisions during the reprogramming. You could wind up with a wheel chock / door stop for the module being reprogrammed . . . and a dead vehicle, if you don't follow the instructions.

Rick

·
Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 leveled and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd lowered.
262 Posts
I used RC's speedo calibrator, because of a 17" to 20" wheel/tire swap, on my 2015 Sierra and it worked just fine. But....... my truck is a LD or base model and did not have any of the options listed they said to disable. I do agree with #2 and #3 posting. Why take the chance??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did end up tracking down all the fuses and pulling for the reprogram, but it didn't dawn on me until after that I did not actually need to. The warning states "aftermarket"; all of the items listed are actually factory on my truck lol. It clicked afterwards that all of those features/options can actually be added aftermarket, including the OnStar. At the very least, I got very educated on my fuse boxes in the process 😄

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You could get rid of that thing and hit me up for a correct version programmer and custom tune for your truck, and gain even more/better power, performance, response, acceleration, etc etc... No need to pull any fuses for factory options such as you have...

And yes, you can also adjust your tire height/diameter setting correctly using the programmer to correct your speedo... and gain so much more than just that tire size/speedo correction... ;)

You can email me directly at: diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com

·
Registered
2002 RCSB Z71
109 Posts
You could get rid of that thing and hit me up for a correct version programmer and custom tune for your truck, and gain even more/better power, performance, response, acceleration, etc etc... No need to pull any fuses for factory options such as you have...

And yes, you can also adjust your tire height/diameter setting correctly using the programmer to correct your speedo... and gain so much more than just that tire size/speedo correction... ;)

You can email me directly at: diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com
Just emailed you about my 2002 truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts