Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used the 3M system to remove small scratches all over the truck today. Neat system for me bc I didn't have an entire truck to do. Very inexpensive less than 30 dollars. Ended up doing 7 small spots on both sides. Comes with small attachment for hand held drill. Worked perfect for what I needed.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6.2AllTerrain said:
Looks good. I need to wetsand and buff my entire truck.
Thank you. I was skeptical at first but after reading up on here I jumped in.

An entire truck would be a task. I read another thread here and I can't remember who it was but he has a black 2006 and he did a section at a time. Which probably is the best way not to rush it.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
littleman22 said:
Truck Looks GREAT. What sections did you do ?
Thank you.

I did 7 different spots. 2 on each door about 4x4, 1 on each side of the bed and one on the tail gate. I didn't have to do entire sections thankfully. I had small 2 or 3 inch scratches in each area.

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Beautiful job. I need to learn how to do that. I spent a couple days on my hood with buffing pads and a porter cable buffer. It didn't even come close to what I wanted. I need to wet sand. Thanks for the inspiration.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gozzie said:
Beautiful job. I need to learn how to do that. I spent a couple days on my hood with buffing pads and a porter cable buffer. It didn't even come close to what I wanted. I need to wet sand. Thanks for the inspiration.
So to put my thoughts into type let me first say I was going to buy the PC 7424 and go that route. But I hesitated bc honestly I didnt know for sure I would be able to do this properly and get a great result. So I opted for a small inexpensive kit from 3M. It gave me everything I needed to do the small spots I had. The biggest advantage for me with the small kit was it educated me as to the steps and tools needed to wet sand and buff. The education of doing this was well worth the time.

With that said the PC seems to be the best buffer for the novice as myself. That will be my next purchase. Since I had such great results with the 3M brand products I will buy those again as I am now semi familiar with them.

I am the type to read three times quadruple check before I do anything to my vehicle. This was a small leap of faith for me but as I mentioned earlier the multiple threads here helped me go ahead and do it. It was a very easy process and I believe I built it up in my head to be far more difficult than it was. Granted I only did small sections but the process is the same on a larger area. Not taking anything away from professional detailers bc some of them are artists, but this is something I can do going forward with great results.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
Biggie1976 said:
ricka182 said:
I did my entire black 2006...and yes, it was a long task...
Yep you are the gentleman whose thread I read. I bet it was a very long process.
It was indeed. I didn't do it all in one day, so I was driving around with sanded sections for a few days in between when I could work on it, and with tape in some places. Got a few odd looks, but when it's clean on a nice day, it gets better looks now.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was indeed. I didn't do it all in one day, so I was driving around with sanded sections for a few days in between when I could work on it, and with tape in some places. Got a few odd looks, but when it's clean on a nice day, it gets better looks now.[/quote]

I bet it looks phenomenal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.