Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Corsa Sport on my 2017 yesterday and I'm having an obvious exhaust leak. I'm certain it is from the head pipe / cat joint and I just didn't put the two together properly.

Question: what is the proper way to join these two together? Does one fit inside the other, or do they butt up against each other?

Here is the joint before I put the clamp on:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Servicemen
3,263 Posts
Make sure that both ends to be joined are fully round and not distorted IN ANY WAY. Put them together as smoothly as you can and slowly tighten up the clamp to pull the two pieces together. The flex joint should help alignment.

· Registered
827 Posts
I had my dad help me while installing my Corsa DB system, basically I would get the pipes as tight as I could together, he'd check alignment and then he'd tighten the clamps. I remember the spherical joint took a fair amount of effort to hold it to the stock pipe. If I remember correct, the Corsa pipe lined up almost exactly with the marks from the old pipe. No leaks.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Broke down and called an exhaust shop. They said they could cut the ends off and just weld it together. Does that cause any concern? I have no plans on removing the exhaust.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
I wouldn't weld it. You need easy access to take your ypipe off if ever needed. Or if you want to change your exhaust. Welding will make it a giant pain to remove if ever needed

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got back under there and repositioned and clamped down for a more natural feel vs worrying too much about lining it up parallel with the headpipe as before. Now to drive it like a mad man to see if it shakes loose haha

Before:

After:

· Registered
827 Posts
I can't watch videos at work but I'm assuming that fixed it... I would also recommend re-torquing all of the bolts after a day or two and then again a couple weeks later or after a long trip. I was able to get another 1/8-1/4 turn out of most of the bolts that way and I've had no leaks since install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.