Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may belong in the Exterior forum but it's tough to say at this point as I haven't been able to locate the source. In the past month my 05 1500HD has developed a loud squeaking noise whenever the suspension dampens or rebounds.

I've narrowed the source to somewhere around the gas tank area on the rear driverside. The front leaf spring connection is close to there but after spraying the bushing with silicon it has not changed. Has anyone experienced this before?

· Registered
451 Posts
Did you check your shocks in the rear? Might be one of those wearing out. Also, check the U-bolts on the leafs just to be sure. Use it as an opportunity to check over the whole rear end.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did crawl around underneath while pushing the frame up and down to actuate the suspension to try and isolate the noise. Shocks were my first though but the noise does not appear to resonate from any of them. (Had my ear right next to each one while moving the frame up and down and heard nothing from them. Took the sample approach to the U bolts and although those are closer to the source it still seems like the noise is coming from up above them which is where the gas tank is located. So far as I know there shouldn't be any other suspension links up in that region so I'm stuck as to what it might be at the moment.

· Registered
451 Posts
Does it only make it when it's sitting still or also when it's moving? If it only squeaks when sitting still I'd say it might be the brakes potentially. I would also reapply the silicone lube while someone is in the bed jumping around so the lube can work it's way into everything better. I'd spray every single busing under there again.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The noise happens while sitting still and while moving and only when the suspension actuates. Apart from some hidden body mount bushing I feel like it has to be a suspension linkage, I just can't get close enough to the source to confirm. I'll respray but I used that technique on the front leaf spring bushing over the weekend but heard no change.

· Registered
451 Posts
It could also just be the leaf springs themselves creaking when actuating. My old '04 had leaf springs that would creak when it was cold out.

· Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the leaf spring, when my passenger side leaf was squeaking I sprayed silicone on everything I could think of and nothing seemed to change. Nextext time I washed it i tried blasting between the leafs as much as I could with a pressure washer and that seemed to fix it.
I've only had it happen twice in the year and a half I've had the truck but both times that has worked for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
451 Posts
The u bolts stretch over time and also shift a bit from bouncing around sometimes. It's worth retorquing those and cleaning/lubing the leafs

· Registered
509 Posts
I'm having an issue with mine where I think the squeak is coming from the passenger rear and its most noticeable on acceleration and when I cut the to the right. I have tried actuating the suspension in park and don't get any squeak. The rotors are old and I'm pulling them and getting them turned next week. Bushings are 15 years old now but don't look horrible. The leaf springs looked fine and sound fine other than being a little rusty, I'll try power washing between and hitting them with lubricant tomorrow.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a squeak coming from the passenger side front. Somewhat less noticeable after leveling the front end side tside .Appears to be no loose control arms or tie rods.... I did grease most all of the zerk fittings its better, but still has a light metal to metal noise or squeaking sound. Annoying, dont think its a wheel bearing, not a rough or grinding sound, just kind of a clatter sound. Worn shock maybe ? Truck is an 02 Chevy Z71 4x4 5.3. Is more pronounced when pulling a trailer... Appreciate any feedback..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.