Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 chevy stepside 2wd here with front discs. Wondering if anyone has dealt with their front brakes squealing all the time when coming to a stop. I've tried organic, semi metallic, and ceramic pads. New rotors when time came and still squeaks. Would slotted rotors help ?

Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I highly doubt slotted rotors would do anything. The slots are there to eliminate brake fade.

You stated "new rotors when the time came", would it be correct to assume that when you swapped out all these pads you at least turned the rotors each time? If not, and the new pads didn't have a fresh surface to "mate" with, that could be an issue.

Further, there is Anti-squeak paste that you should apply. I have this stuff lying around and it works very well. http://noisefree.com

I have also used copper paste.

please remember not to apply any of these to the friction surfaces....just my disclaimer!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eurovic said:
I highly doubt slotted rotors would do anything. The slots are there to eliminate brake fade.

You stated "new rotors when the time came", would it be correct to assume that when you swapped out all these pads you at least turned the rotors each time? If not, and the new pads didn't have a fresh surface to "mate" with, that could be an issue.

Further, there is Anti-squeak paste that you should apply. I have this stuff lying around and it works very well. http://noisefree.com

I have also used copper paste.

please remember not to apply any of these to the friction surfaces....just my disclaimer!!!
I don't know of anyone who turns their rotors every time they replace pads.. Unless the pad backing indicator has cut into them, or they got the rotors too hot, and they warped...If they do, that's pretty anal...Isn't the anti-squeak paste you mention, just keeps the pads from rattling in the caliper mounts ? In my case the squeal is from the pads against the rotors. Like two different similar metals in which case they are.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Now you do know someone who makes sure both surfaces are fresh....and I have never had squeaky brakes!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts