Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am having an issue with my truck and am really at my wits end with finding the problem, thats why I joined this forum in hopes of some advice.

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra, 4X4, that has developed a squeal only when turning left. My first initial thought was a wheel bearing. Just some info on the wheel bearing history, I just changed the passenger side back in October after it went out. Since then this squeal has newly developed, so I changed the driver side wheel bearing thinking it was the culprit, still it will squeal when making a left turn.

I have no dust covers(In the process of beating the old wheel bearings out I gently mashed them with my sledge hammer) so I know the front dust covers aren't whats causing the sound. The brake rotors are brand new, the brake pads are in good shape with 60% left. The cv joints and axles are all tight, no play at all. The power steering fluid is topped off, this squeal doesnt sound PS related anyway, sounds like metal on metal. My first thought after changing wheel bearings was that it was the wear indicator on my brake pads, but the pads are still good. Someone had mentioned the backing plates on the rear axle, that when turning left it puts the right rear in a bind with the backing plate, could this be possible?

I'm really at a loss of where to look and hate to take it somewhere only to find out that its a simple fix. It's not a squeak as in a bushing thats dried up, but its more of a metal on metal, sounds just like a wheel bearing, but with two new front wheel bearings I know this isn't the case. Also someone mentioned the emergency brake arm could be loose or hanging up on the inside of the drum.

Any ideas??? Really want to get this fixed because its driving me nuts.

Thank you all for your help in advance,

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Do you have rear disc brakes? Could it be the splash shield behind the rotors? They are known to rust pretty badly. They were completely rotted away on my '00 Silverado. Maybe a part of one is rubbing on the inside of your rear wheel just enough to make the noise when turning?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Have you jacked the truck up and checked to make sure the bearings are good or are you just relying on the they are new feature? Did you change the brake pads or just swap them over to the new rotors could be contamination from the old rotors in the pads causing the sequel? Should always change pads and rotors together pads are cheap. Did you lube/clean all slides on the brakes during reassembly may have a brake that is not fully returning. Go back over your work if it just developed since you did bearings

The only clue i had when my wheel bearing went bad was a squealing when i turned no other signs of vibration, grinding, or pulling. When i jacked it up it was ready to fall off

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning all,

I have jacked up the front end of my truck and manually checked that its not the bearings themselves, I'm leaning more towards brakes being the culprit as I am having lots of brake dust build up.

The rear brakes are drums, I haven't pulled the drums off yet mainly because the noise sounds to be coming from the front, but Im curious if something isn't rubbing inside the drum, I'll dig into it this afternoon.

Lastly, the guy at the local parts house tells me he thinks its a front cv axle bearing, but I thought those made a clicking, clunky noise when they go bad, not a squeal?

I'm still on the hunt for the noise, I appreciate all your guys help.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
A cv certainly does not make sense. Parts guy does not know what he is talking about if you ask me. Strange that brakes would make a squeal when turning. Perhaps something is rubbing and is really close and somehow just barely makes contact when turning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I was needing confirmation on, the cv axle, I couldn't see it being the problem, not with the noise I'm hearing. I'm hearing a metal on metal, scraping sound, and it only does it at low speeds turning left. It has to be something rubbing somewhere, if I drive in a left circle it will squeal, then when I turn back straight it goes away. I know this all sounds like a wheel bearing, but I'm more than positive that it isn't.

So far it hasn't shown itself, I'm contemplating driving in a circle while getting someone to listen to see if they can pinpoint where its coming from.

I'm curious if it could be the metal brackets that the brake pads sit in inside the caliper, if they aren't shifting just enough during a turn to make a metal on metal squeal. Maybe soon I'll pinpoint the cause.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
why are you positive its not a wheel bearing? there are always a few bad parts that come off the production line, even if new, it could be bad. I know this is unlikely, but it is possible

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll back up and embarrass myself a little here, but...... I changed a bad passenger side wheel bearing in October, it was bad, gone beyond bad, so I changed it. This noise has since then started, that's what led me to change the driver side wheel bearing, the sound was so unmistakeable that I knew that it had to be a bad wheel bearing. After changing the driver side wheel bearing, the sound was still there, squealing, metal on metal. So I took the passenger side wheel bearing off, took it back to the parts house and warrantied it for a new one, took the new bearing home and installed it, still squealing like stuck pig. So I know, of the the last two wheel bearings that have been installed, the squealing metal on metal sound was present before and after the installation of each. The driver side and passenger side wheel bearings where changed about 3 days apart.

The power steering pump issue I could see if it were just a squeal or whine noise, but this noise is completely metallic, sounds like somebody is sharpening a knife under there when I turn left. There has to be something making contact just enough when I turn left to make this noise.

Jon Preston

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The pads sit a hair-width away from the brake rotor face and even a slight roll/pitch change as you turn can move them just slightly against the rotor is there's any brake dust buildup between the pad backing and the caliper piston. This can get worse when wet, as the brake dust/dirt conglomeration absorbs water and expands in mass. It does not take much.

Get the pads out, clean them and the caliper piston faces, and use a SMALL AMOUNT of CRC "Disc Brake Quiet" instead of the Teflon shims, if you have any.
A dead/dying wheel bearing is a very different experience (as OP describes).

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have an 08 it started doing kind of the same thing and noise turning left off the highway down our street which is a bit on an incline, heard it only then for several weeks. One day as I pulled off in to our yard which has a down hill grade the squeal turned to a louder growel as if the brake pads had just disappeared. However they were new. Took it to the shop and yes it was the driver side CV joint. So i had both replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting FOURDAWGS, I will definitely give that some deeper inspection. I've always just been familiar with the clicking, popping noise of a bad cv joint is why I hadn't considered it deeper. I'll look into that and see what it looks like.

Thanks a million for everyones help.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4X4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am actually having this same problem that's why I joined this forum. I have a 2wd though. Only happens when I turn left, is consistant with acceleration/ braking/cruising, as long as I'm moving forward turning left it squeals. I have new rotors fairly new pads new stearing rack new hub ashy. Cant figure this one out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a set of brakes this morning, the duralast gold, supposed to be the extra quiet brakes, they come with the quiet glide clips. I'm going to install new pads with these quiet glide clips and see if this changes anything. I talked with a local mechanic yesterday who said it wasn't uncommon for these brake clips to shift as you turn, and because there is a hair of clearance between the clip and rotor, its possible that my old clips are worn and are shifting just enough to cause this aggravating squeal.

I'll let you know the results I have, if this doesn't seem to fix it, then I will look at a new cv axle joint.

More information to come.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4

·
Registered
5 Posts
JonPreston35 said:
I bought a set of brakes this morning, the duralast gold, supposed to be the extra quiet brakes, they come with the quiet glide clips. I'm going to install new pads with these quiet glide clips and see if this changes anything. I talked with a local mechanic yesterday who said it wasn't uncommon for these brake clips to shift as you turn, and because there is a hair of clearance between the clip and rotor, its possible that my old clips are worn and are shifting just enough to cause this aggravating squeal.

I'll let you know the results I have, if this doesn't seem to fix it, then I will look at a new cv axle joint.

More information to come.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4
It wont be the axel cv joints mine is a 2wd and I'm having the exact same problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It wont be the axel cv joints mine is a 2wd and I'm having the exact same problem[/quote]

I didn't even think about that, flew right over my head. Hopefully these new quiet glide clips will help, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

I replaced brake pads and clips with what was supposed to be the quietest brake pads you can buy, came with quiet glide clips. After changing the brake pads, it still squeals only when going left.

I removed the clips and used crc disc brake quiet to hold the brake pads in place, with no clips in place, it still squeals only when going left, I have now noticed it is doing it while going in reverse as well.

My next thought would be a cv axle.....I hate to take it to a shop only to pay for them to tell me whats wrong, but it may come to either that, or just me nickel and diming myself to to death....

But, that's my progress so far.

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
Shops sometimes end up doing the same thing... For about the cost of taking it in to a shop...swapping the left cv axle could be done yourself. I still have a hard time with a cv making a squeal noise...but Terry (FOURDAWGS) said he had that issue on his.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nealinator, that's what I'm thinking is that I just can't see how its a cv joint, but it appears possible with FOURDAWGS post. I'll look into swapping the cv joint and see what the change is from there.

I sure appreciate all the help and feedback!

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4

1 - 20 of 39 Posts